Anger grows as families bury the dead after Burkina Faso attack
Relatives of people killed and survivors from an attack this week on a bus convoy of mine workers in Burkina Faso were increasingly angry on Saturday at what they said was a lack of support from authorities and the mining company, APA reports citing Reuters.
Hundreds of relatives, friends and colleagues of the victims waited for hours to recover their bodies from a morgue in the capital Ouagadougou, as a procession of vehicles made its way to cemeteries across the city. “I am unhappy because I lost my colleague and I am unhappy with the way the government is dealing with this,” said Mahamdi Mande, 32, as he waited for the body of his colleague, Moussa Ouattara.
Canadian gold mining company Semafo said five of its buses, which were traveling with a military escort, came under fire on Wednesday on the road leading to its Boungou mine in the East region. Authorities said 38 people were killed in the attack, one of the deadliest in years in the West African country.
A survivor, who worked for Australian mining services provider Perenti, said neither Semafo nor Perenti had contacted him since the attack, in which he pretended to be dead to avoid being shot at. “They need to treat me like a human being. They could have tried to talk to everyone. I can’t understand it - they should have done better. What they have done for us is not enough,” said the worker, who asked not to be identified for security reasons. Oumarou Tankouano, whose brother was killed, also said he had not been contacted by Semafo. “Maybe after the burials, they are going to contact us. I think if any support is to come, it should be from Semafo,” the 34-year-old said.
Semafo and Perenti could not immediately be reached on a Saturday for comment.
The government could not be reached for comment on Friday.
Survivors interviewed by Reuters have suggested the death toll could be much higher than the 38 officially reported. The convoy was likely carrying around 250 people, a security source who works in the sector and a worker at the mine have said previously, leaving dozens unaccounted for.
Neither Semafo nor the authorities have confirmed how many people were in the convoy. The assailants’ identity was unclear, but two witnesses said some attackers shouted an Islamic phrase.
All the bodies retrieved by the government had been formally identified by Saturday, public prosecutor Harouna Yoda said in a statement. Distraught and angry relatives had complained earlier that authorities had not let them view the bodies for days following the attack.
Semafo has said the Boungou mine site, about 355 km (220 miles) from Ouagadougou, is secured, but it has suspended operations there.
Burkina Faso is struggling to combat surging Islamist violence in remote eastern and northern scrubland areas. A homegrown, three-year-old insurgency has spread over parts of the country, amplified by Islamist militant violence and criminality spilling over from its northern neighbor Mali.
Nikola shares drop as share lockup period expires
Oil slides amid delay in OPEC+ meeting on output cuts
Four die as car ploughs through Germany pedestrian zone - UPDATED
Mnuchin says will discuss government funding measure with Pelosi
Yerevan police detains 35 opposition activists demanding Pashinian's resignation
Azerbaijani and Qatari FMs hold phone conversation
Massive Puerto Rico telescope collapses
Car belonging to Russian embassy in Afghanistan blown up and some people injured
Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs hold phone conversation
Turkey reports 30,100+ new COVID-19 cases
UFC star Nurmagomedov says set to include MMA fighting on Olympics program
NATO welcomes cessation of hostilities in and around Nagorno-Karabakh, says Stoltenberg
Bitcoin price down by more than 6% at $18,444
Families of martyrs and war invalids receive an average monthly social allowance of AZN 700, Ministry
Dutch make masks mandatory as new coronavirus cases taper
Azerbaijani SSS releases information of the State Commission of the Republic of Azerbaijan on prisoners of war, hostages and missing persons
OIC Secretary General sends a letter to Azerbaijani President
Vilyam Hajiyev's detention term extended
Sputnik V vaccine trials begin in India
No intentional delay in the exchange of prisoners of war and the bodies of those killed in Karabakh, Lavrov says
Pfizer-BioNTech seek EU emergency approval for COVID-19 vaccine, target December rollout
Azerbaijan fully reclaims lands around Nagorno-Karabakh
Azerbaijani MoD: Delivery process of logistic support assets for the peacekeeping contingent continues
Facebook to get Kustomer in $1bn acquisition
Ganja teenager won a bronze medal at the International Olympiad in Informatics
Azerbaijani MoD: Marines who showed high professionalism in the Patriotic War returned to the place of permanent deployment
Orders and medals established on victory in Patriotic War
Commission: Rights of Armenian servicemen and civilians who surrendered to the Azerbaijani Army fully ensured
Title of "Hero of the Patriotic War" of the Republic of Azerbaijan established
Commission: Contacts are continued with ICRC and Russian peacekeeping command in order to determine fate of our missing servicemen
State Commission: Information that Armenian prisoners of war will be demonstrated in the military parade is false
NATO PA’s seminar dedicated to situation in South Caucasus held
Monitoring center in Azerbaijan will have the same number of servicemen from Russia and Turkey
Russian MoD disseminates information on transfer of Lachin region to control of Azerbaijan
International air traffic may recover in 2-3 years
IOC confirms Bach is only candidate for Olympic presidency
Von der Leyen: First vaccinations in EU possibly in December
Condolence book to be opened at the Iranian Embassy in Baku
Number of cultural facilities to be restored in Lachin, revealed
TABIB releases health statistics for Lachin region
COVID-19 deaths in Russia rise by 569 in past 24 hours, highest number on record
Became known who will be discharged from military service on mobilization from December 2 in Azerbaijan
Iranian-Azerbaijani customs cooperation discussed
Liberation of Lachin from occupation celebrated in Takhtakorpu - VIDEO
President Ilham Aliyev signs an order on demobilization of a group of servicemen
Committee chairman of Milli Majlis: “Liberation of Karabakh from occupation is a huge economic blow to Armenia which exploited its recourses”
Statistics of Lachin district on social payments announced
Azerbaijan documents 4426 fresh coronavirus cases, 1995 recoveries, 41 deaths in the last 24 hours
1,746,198 coronavirus tests conducted in Azerbaijan so far
Number of confirmed coronavirus cases reaches 125,602 in Azerbaijan, 1,433 deaths
Azerbaijani flag raised up in the liberated from occupation Lachin region - VIDEO
Units of the Azerbaijan Army entered the Lachin region - VIDEO
The other logistic support assets for the peacekeeping contingent were delivered - VIDEO
Azerbaijan State Tourism Agency prepares video about the sights of Shusha - VIDEO
Armenians target Azerbaijan's residential settlements, civilian population, and civilian facilities - PHOTOSESSION
Azerbaijani MP suggests to establish shelters for beggars
Azerbaijan commemorates Khojaly genocide - PHOTOSESSION
14 years pass since establishment of the Ministry of Emergency Situations: They always come to your aid in any difficult moments - PHOTOSESSION - VIDEO
First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva attended opening ceremony of rebuilt Azerbaijan pavilion at Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy in Moscow - UPDATED
UEFA banned Nurlan Ibrahimov from football for life
Azerbaijani Parliament adopts a statement protesting the resolution adopted by the French Senate - FULL TEXT
Assistant to Azerbaijani President: "This resolution is nothing but an ordinary piece of paper for Azerbaijan"
Hikmat Hajiyev: "Diplomatic corps have witnessed consequences of Armenia's brutal rocket and artillery attacks" - VIDEO