Red Cross sounds alarm on food insecurity in Mozambique

Red Cross sounds alarm on food insecurity in Mozambique
  • Clock-gray 23:20
  • calendar-gray 08 November 2019

Two million people in the southern African nation of Mozambique are expected to face food insecurity by early next year, while roughly 38,000 children are already at risk of malnutrition, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) warned on Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.

“We call on governments, donors and humanitarian actors to do more to prevent and reduce the impact of future disasters here in Mozambique,” Jemilah Mahmood, the IFRC under secretary general for partnerships, said in a press release by the group.

“The rainy season poses a real threat to the health of communities that are already extremely vulnerable. Mozambique is one of the most disaster-prone countries in the world. We have seen a clear trend of these disasters increasing.”

The press release added: “The Red Cross has provided more than 192,000 people [in Mozambique] with emergency relief and continues supporting those most vulnerable by providing shelter, health, water, sanitation, hygiene promotion, food assistance, psychosocial and livelihood support.”

Earlier this year, Mozambique was hit by not one but two cyclones, Idai and Kenneth, and their effects linger, said the Red Cross.

Kənan Hacıyev

Other news

Archive

date