Sudan's warring factions signed an agreement late on Saturday for a seven-day ceasefire, sources from the two sides said, as fighting that has plunged the country into chaos and displaced more than a million entered its sixth week, APA reports citing Reuters.
The fighting between Sudan's army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has led to a collapse in law. Stocks of food, cash and essentials are rapidly dwindling, and mass looting has hit banks, embassies, factories and aid warehouses.
The new agreement calls for a seven-day ceasefire to begin 48 hours after signing. Numerous previous ceasefire agreements were violated.
Saudi- and U.S-sponsored talks in the Saudi city of Jeddah had until Saturday only resulted in a declaration of principles on May 12 but no change on the ground.
Aid groups have said they are unable to provide sufficient assistance in Khartoum, the capital, in the absence of safe passage and security guarantees for staff.
Earlier on Saturday, the U.S. State Department said Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke to army leader General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan about the Jeddah talks.
"In this step-by-step process, the Secretary urged flexibility and leadership," spokesperson Matthew Miller said in a statement.