Pompeo conveys US disappointment over Ankara’s acquisition of Russia’s S-400

Pompeo conveys US disappointment over Ankara’s acquisition of Russia’s S-400
  • Clock-gray 03:26
  • calendar-gray 21 July 2019

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a phone call with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu on Saturday "conveyed the United States’ disappointment" over Ankara’s purchase of Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile system, Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said in a readout, APA reports citing TASS.

"Secretary Pompeo reaffirmed the United States’ commitment to addressing Turkish security concerns along the Turkey-Syria border, while also reiterating the US Government’s obligation to ensure the protection of local partners working with the United States and the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS [the Islamic State terrorist group banned in Russia - TASS]," she said.

"The Secretary also conveyed the United States’ disappointment over Turkey’s acquisition of the Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile system," she added.

Earlier, the Turkish Foreign Ministry’s press service said that the US and Turkish top diplomats discussed the issues related to Russia’s S-400 missile system and US’ F-35 fighter jets, to developments in Syria’s Manjib and Idlib and a new security zone in Syria.

The phone call was first between the two countries’ diplomats after S-400 had been shipped to Turkey, Washington had removed Ankara from the F-35 jet development program and US President Donald Trump had said that Washington was considering unilateral sanctions against Turkey.

Faiq Mahmudov

Other news