U.S. government contractors get first look at Huawei ban
The U.S. agency responsible for government contracts on Wednesday released an interim rule for a ban on federal purchases of telecommunications equipment from five Chinese companies, including Huawei, APA reports citing Reuters.
The ban is part of a broad U.S. push against Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, the world’s largest telecommunications network gear maker, which Washington accuses of espionage and stealing intellectual property.
Huawei has repeatedly denied it is controlled by the Chinese government, military or intelligence services. It has filed a lawsuit against the U.S. government over the restrictions in the defense policy bill.
The ban was included in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) passed last year, and restricted the use of federal money to purchase telecommunications equipment and services and video surveillance equipment from “covered” telecommunications companies, citing national security concerns.
A spokesman for Hikvision - one of the five companies - said it is committed to complying with laws and regulations in countries where it operates. Hikvision “has made efforts to ensure the security of our products adhere to what is mandated by the U.S. government,” the spokesman said.
Huawei and two of the other companies - ZTE Corporation and Hytera - did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday. The fifth company, Dahua, could not immediately be reached for comment.
Contractors have said they were confused about the scope of the ban and what it will mean for their businesses.
The first rule implementing the ban was posted on a website for contractors called Acquisition.gov run by the General Services Administration (GSA), the government agency responsible for contracting.
The interim rule is slated to take effect on Aug. 13. The government will accept comments on the rule for 60 days before it comes to a final version.
It will allow agencies some ability to grant waivers through Aug. 13, 2021, for contractors where security is not at issue.
The broader ban - which will apply to contracts with any company that uses equipment from the companies - will take effect in August 2020.
In June, the White House Office of Management and Budget had asked Congress for two additional years to phase in the ban - a request that was quickly rebuffed by Republican national security hawks.
“The administration has a strong commitment to defending our nation from foreign adversaries, and will fully comply with Congress on the implementation of the prohibition of Chinese telecom and video surveillance equipment, including Huawei equipment,” said Jacob Wood, a spokesman for the OMB.
Number of coronavirus cases registered in Kazakhstan exceeds 129,000
Japan’s COVID-19 Response Centre calls on government to toughen restrictions
Telephone conversation held between Azerbaijani FM and his Italian counterpart
Oil prices decrease again
Number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Germany surpasses 1 million
Japan cancels Emperor's New Year Event due to COVID-19
Moscow documents 77 deaths from COVID-19 in past 24 hours
Pashinyan called Putin twice in an hour to discuss Karabakh
Moldovan president-elect speaks in favor of saving 5+2 format of talks on Transnistria
Top UK scientific adviser says AstraZeneca vaccine works
Maradona's funeral ceremony suspended as hundreds of people try to access government palace
Trump says COVID-19 vaccine delivery to begin next Week
Trump says he will leave the White House if Electoral College votes for Biden
"Garabagh" lost the chance of next round for the European Cup
The French Foreign Ministry did not support the Senate resolution on the so-called "NKR"
Belavia resumes Minsk-Baku flights
Armenian Defense Ministry: Gates have been temporarily set on the border with Azerbaijan in Kalbajar
Turkey records highest new coronavirus death toll for fourth consecutive day
UK PM names new chief of staff
Johnson completes self-isolation period
Brawl occurs in today’s meeting of Armenian Parliament - VIDEO
Azerbaijan temporarily restricts coronavirus testing for asymptomatic contacts
France could lift curfew at end of January
TABIB clarifies the information on shortage of coronavirus tests in Azerbaijan
Azerbaijan sends a note to France, ambassador summoned to Foreign Ministry
London to be placed in second highest COVID risk category
Italy’s several municipalities adopt documents demonstrating solidarity with Azerbaijani people
UEFA banned Nurlan Ibrahimov from football for life
Rawil Gaynetdin addresses letter to President Ilham Aliyev
Azerbaijani Community in Kharkiv appeals to international organizations regarding Armenian vandalism
Azerbaijan and Afghan FMs hold phone conversation
iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 Mini now at Azercell Exclusive shops
Number of confirmed coronavirus cases reaches 106101 in Azerbaijan, 1256 deaths
1665832 coronavirus tests conducted in Azerbaijan so far
Azerbaijan documents 3705 fresh coronavirus cases, 1609 recoveries, 32 deaths in the last 24 hours
Leonid Kalashnikov: "The decision of the French Senate is unacceptable for the co-chair country"
Germany's hotspot district to launch COVID-19 mass tests for children
Azerbaijani and Indonesian FMs hold phone conversation
Pakistan shuts schools to curb new coronavirus infections
Turkish Defense Minister condemns French Senate resolution on Nagorno-Karabakh
Staff of the Sport-Health Centre of the Ministry of Emergency Situations visit the families of martyrs - VIDEO
Russian deputy: “Recognition of Karabakh's independence by French Senate is hypocrisy and political game”
Rain to fall, strong wind to blow in Azerbaijan - WARNING
Iraq warns ISIS activities have intensified, urges international cooperation to stop terrorists
Iran reports 482 coronavirus related deaths over past day
Azerbaijani Parliament adopts a statement protesting the resolution adopted by the French Senate - FULL TEXT
Georgia to impose curfew over deteriorating epidemiological situation
A video about Vagif and Basir Maharramovs, who went missing during the Khojaly genocide, was presented - VIDEO
Buta Airways to increase frequency of flights performed to Izmir
Turkish FM and NATO Secretary-General discuss Nagorno Karabakh
Protest rally is held in front of French Embassy to Azerbaijan - UPDATED - VIDEO
Ministry of Defense releases new video footage of the entry of the Azerbaijan Army Units to the Kalbajar region - VIDEO
Armenians target Azerbaijan's residential settlements, civilian population, and civilian facilities - PHOTOSESSION
Azerbaijani MP suggests to establish shelters for beggars
Azerbaijan commemorates Khojaly genocide - PHOTOSESSION
14 years pass since establishment of the Ministry of Emergency Situations: They always come to your aid in any difficult moments - PHOTOSESSION - VIDEO
First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva attended opening ceremony of rebuilt Azerbaijan pavilion at Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy in Moscow - UPDATED
Prosecutor General’s Office: Most of the videos about insulting actions against the corpses of Armenian servicemen are fake
Major General rank conferred to Kanan Seyidov- ORDER
More than a hundred people have contracted an unknown disease in Senegal
Aziz Sanjar allocates assistance for education of Khadija, who lost both parents in rocket attack by Armenians on Ganja