U.N. chief condemns deadly Saudi-led coalition strike in Yemen

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres

© APA | United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres

# 22 January 2022 06:10 (UTC +04:00)

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned air strikes by a Saudi-led coalition in Yemen on Friday that reportedly killed at least 60 people in a detention center in the Houthi-held Saada province, APA reports citing Reuters.

A Reuters witness said several people, including African migrants, died in the attack. Guterres' spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, said further deadly air strikes had been reported elsewhere in Yemen with children among those killed.

"An airstrike on telecommunications facilities in Hodeidah has also significantly disrupted vital internet services across much of the country," Dujarric said in a statement. "The Secretary-General calls for prompt, effective and transparent investigations into these incidents to ensure accountability."

Save the Children said in a statement that three children were reportedly killed in the western city of Hodeidah.

#
#

THE OPERATION IS BEING PERFORMED