Bomb blasts leave nine soldiers dead in Philippines

Bomb blasts leave nine soldiers dead in Philippines
  • Clock-gray 12:07
  • calendar-gray 24 August 2020

Twin explosions in the Philippines have killed at least nine soldiers and wounded military personnel and civilians, APA reports citing DW.

Reports said the first bomb had been attached to a motorcycle.

Two bombs exploded in a southern Philippines town on Monday, military and police sources said. The blasts killed at least nine soldiers and injured over a dozen more individuals. 

The first bomb detonated at around noon local time along a main street in the town of Jolo in Sulu province, around 1,000 kilometres (621 miles) south of Manila. 

Initial army reports said the source of the first blast was a homemade bomb on a parked motorcycle. 

The explosion damaged a food and computer store as well as two army trucks, military spokesman Rex Payot and police said.  

The second blast went off nearby shortly after. It was not immediately clear whether it resulted in further damagae or casualties in downtown Jolo.

No group has yet claimed responsibility.

apa-logo-mini

Other news