Ministry: Two Malaysians brought home from Wuhan test positive for virus

Ministry: Two Malaysians brought home from Wuhan test positive for virus
  • Clock-gray 15:03
  • calendar-gray 05 February 2020

Two Malaysians who were flown back from the Chinese city of Wuhan have tested positive for the coronavirus, the Southeast Asian nation’s health ministry said on Wednesday, raising the tally of confirmed cases in the country to 12, APA reports citing Reuters.

Malaysia sent a flight to Wuhan on Monday to bring back over 100 of its citizens who were stranded there since the city was locked down in an effort to contain the spread of the virus.

The two cases, a 45-year-old woman and her 9-year-old son, did not show any symptoms when subjected to health screening on arrival in Kuala Lumpur but lab tests confirmed on Wednesday they had contracted the virus, Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad said at the ministry’s daily news conference on the coronavirus.

“Both are receiving treatment in an isolation ward... and they are in stable condition,” Dzulkefly said.

Malaysia confirmed on Tuesday its first citizen to be infected with the coronavirus, a 41-year-old Malaysian who last month had traveled to Singapore for a meeting, where he met a delegation from China which included one person from Wuhan - the epicenter of the epidemic.

 

The Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday that a 38-year-old South Korean man, who had come into contact with the Malaysian, had been infected.

Separately, Malaysia’s attorney-general said in a statement authorities will investigate lies initiated and spread on the internet over the coronavirus outbreak, and that charges were expected against unidentified persons in the coming days.

apa-logo-mini

Other news