Taliban reject int'l calls for cease-fire
- 12 July 2020
The Taliban on Sunday rejected mounting calls for cease-fire by the Afghan government and international community, saying they were yet to find "an alternative" to the ongoing insurgency, APA reports citing Anadolu Agency.
The group's spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahed, said on Twitter that the implementation of the Doha deal signed between the US and Taliban on Feb. 29 and the start of intra-Afghan negotiations would be necessary for the conflict to de-escalate and end. "If anyone seeks ceasefire before talks then such is illogical. War is raging precisely b/c we have yet to find an alternative," he said.
Mujahed underlined that prisoner exchanges must be completed and intra-Afghan negotiations launched "immediately" for a resolution to the fighting.
Last week, Afghan President Mohammed Ashraf Ghani warned the peace process might face "serious challenges" if the Taliban continued with the war.
In a virtual conference with the representatives of some 20 regional countries and international organizations, Ghani underlined that though the Afghan government had the capacity and political will to end the war, it had offered the Taliban a political solution to move away from violence.