The war in Yemen is “back in full force,” the United Nations mediator told the Security Council on Tuesday amid renewed attempts to get the warring parties to talk and U.N. warnings that the country is spiralling toward a massive famine, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Martin Griffiths told the council that there had been a dramatic deterioration in the more than six-year-long war with a Houthi offensive on Marib - the Yemeni government's last northern stronghold - putting millions of civilians at risk.
"We are also seeing other fronts in Yemen opening, including with military escalations in Hajjah and Taiz and Hudaydah. The war is back in full force," he told the 15-member council.
A Saudi Arabia-led military coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015 after the Houthi group ousted the country's government from the capital Sanaa. The Houthis say they are fighting a corrupt system.