Typhoon Hagibis death toll rises to 53

Typhoon Hagibis death toll rises to 53
  • Clock-gray 18:46
  • calendar-gray 14 October 2019

The death toll from Typhoon Hagibis rose to 53 on Monday as search-and-rescue teams continued to operate in areas hit by flooding and landslides in central and eastern Japan, APA reports citing TASS.

Self-Defense Forces personnel, police and firefighters were carrying out operations, with 16 people missing and at least 100 injured.

At a disaster task force meeting, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the government will do the utmost to support those affected by the typhoon and its aftereffects, adding an interagency team will be set up to improve shelters and help evacuees to find places to live.

About 38,000 people in 17 prefectures had evacuated from their homes by midday Monday, according to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, adding 3,400 homes had been flooded across the country.

"There is concern that the impact on lives and economic activities may persist," Abe said. "We will respond as best we can as we continue to think about those who are suffering."

apa-logo-mini

Other news

Archive

date