Vladimir Fekete: The Vatican and Azerbaijan enjoy a high-level of relationships - INTERVIEW
The Ordinary of the Roman Catholic Church's Apostolic Prefecture in Azerbaijan Vladimir Fekete was interviewed by APA News Agency
- How do you assess current relations between Azerbaijan and the Vatican? Are you satisfied with the development of bilateral relations?
- The Vatican was among the countries that first recognized the Independent Azerbaijan Republic after the collapse of the Soviet Union and had diplomatic relations with. Mutual relations rose to a higher level after the historically first visit of the Pope of Rome John Paul II to Azerbaijan in May 2002.
I believe that the current relations between the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Vatican are at a very high level. This is evidenced by numerous reciprocal visits, including the official visit of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev to the Vatican in April 2016 and the visit of Pope Francis to Baku in October 2016.
- His Holiness Pope Francis said that he hopes for a peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict while visiting Azerbaijan and Armenia in 2016. Can the Vatican give any support to the OSCE Minsk Group and other international organizations in finding the solution to the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict through negotiations?
- During his visit to Baku, Pope Francis unequivocally expressed that he supports the peaceful resolution of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. What specific steps in this direction the Vatican has taken and is taking at international organizations, unfortunately, I do not know. This question, in my opinion, is more concerned with the Vatican diplomacy.
-Is it expected Pope Francis's visit to the South Caucasus region?
-Pope Francis receives an invitation to visit around the world. Since he visited the South Caucasus countries only 3 years ago, it is likely that he would prefer to visit other countries, especially those that the Pope did not attend at all, and there are many such countries. If it pleases God, we will rejoice in his re-arrival in Azerbaijan.
-Pope Francis has appointed titular Archbishop of Novi, Pol Fitzpatrick Russell as the Apostolic Nuncio in Azerbaijan. When does new ambassador begin his work
-Pope Francis appointed Archbishop Paul Fitzpatrick Roussel as ambassador to Azerbaijan in April 2018, and he assumed his position on November 4 last year, when he handed over his letters of trust to President Ilham Aliyev. Monsignor Roussel is at the same time the ambassador of the Vatican in Turkey and Turkmenistan, and his permanent office is in Ankara.
-What is being done to develop cooperation between the Vatican and Azerbaijan in cultural areas?
- As is well known, the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, in collaboration with the Vatican museums, carried out several projects related to the reconstruction of ancient monuments in Rome. Several exhibitions of Azerbaijani artists have also been held in Rome and negotiations are underway to organize an exhibition in Baku of some valuable exhibits of the Vatican museums related to the ancient history of Azerbaijan.
-How would you assess the attitude towards religious confessions and religious groups in Azerbaijan?
- I live and work as a religious leader of the Catholic Church in Azerbaijan for 10 years. During this time, I got acquainted rather deeply with the history and modern high level of relations between religious groups in Azerbaijan. I can say that I have very close and friendly relations with representatives of the Caucasian Muslims Office led by the respected Sheikhulsislam Allahshukur Pashazade, representatives of the Jewish communities, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Archbishop of Azerbaijan and Baku, Alexander, and representatives of other Christian movements in Azerbaijan. I am sure that positive relations between religious leaders are always to the benefit not only of believers but also of the whole society.
-What is your view about interfaith dialogue in the contemporary world?
- Interfaith dialogue is always more important. The modern lifestyle leads to the fact that people move and live shortly or long-term in other countries, living side by side with representatives of other religions. Difficulties in some countries led politicians to make statements about the failures of inter-religious dialogue. I do not share the opinions of these politicians and I am confident that we all should strive in this direction: preserving our own identity, be ready and able to accept and positively assess the wealth of other nations and other religions. In this regard, Azerbaijan is a positive example for other countries.
-There is such an approach that, over the centuries, the attitude of people to religion changes, even though according to statistics a large number of people said that they have no religious affiliation. It would be interesting to know your view regarding this issue…
- I may say for sure that human is a spiritual being whose soul is immortal and in search of God and the meaning of his existence as living in the universe. Of course, during the course of history, a person found various answers to his search and sometimes lived in delusion and idolatry. In the fullness of time, through his prophets, God revealed to Himself Himself and the right path to life in truth. The last centuries appeared particularly strong revolutionary ideas that forcibly inculcated atheism and persecuted all believers and which in many parts of the world continue to influence. Theoretical atheism and practical materialism contributed to the spread of a godless way of life, or at least an indifferent attitude towards faith in God. I don’t know what statistics you are talking about, but according to my information, on the contrary, the number of believers is increasing not only in the countries of the former Soviet Union but also in other continents. The fact remains that some people, especially young people, cannot always attribute themselves to a particular religion, but despite this, consider themselves religious people and continue their search for God and existence on earth
Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan issues statement on Govharaga mosque
CMO Chairman and Georgian Ambassador to Azerbaijan discuss letter of Ilia II regarding Keshikchidagh
Month of Maharram starts on September 1, Ashura falls on September 10 in Azerbaijan - FATWA
Baku International Interfaith and Inter-Civilization Cooperation Center addresses statement to political and religious leaders
Allahshukur Pashazade: “Azerbaijan is a unique example of national unity, spiritual solidarity, religious and cultural diversity”
Chairman of CMO: Opening of five madrasas planned in Azerbaijan in upcoming future
CMO Chairman: “Joining efforts of religious leaders to ensure termination of conflict zones”
Allahshukur Pashazadeh: “Invitation not sent to Armenian Catholicos II Karekin”
Holiday prayer performed in Azerbaijani mosques on occasion of Qurban Bayram - PHOTOSESSION
Vladimir Putin congratulates the Muslims of Russia on the Eid al-Adha Islamic holiday
Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev meets with First President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev
Saudi Aramco, Russia's TMK signed memorandum of understanding
Turkish FM: "We started operations in N Syria because US has not fulfilled its promise to Turkey"
Mevlud Chavusoglu: "We should not leave Azerbaijan alone in its right struggle"
Turkish FM: "Azerbaijan always supports Turkey"
Google's fight against EU antitrust fine to be heard February 12-14 at EU court
14 policemen killed in attack in Michoacan, Mexico
EU foreign ministers issue statement on Turkeys op in N Syria
Queen outlines government's Brexit plan during state opening
Erdogan criticizes EU and League of Arab States: “We will not give up the steps we have taken”
Typhoon Hagibis death toll rises to 53
Azerbaijani President meets with Hungarian PM
Azerbaijani President meets with Kyrgyz counterpart
Turkey President: “Or Terror organizations made members to NATO which I am not aware of"
Tural Ganjaliyev: “Final “declaration” of “Forum” held in Khankendi contains absurd ideas”
Erdogan: “Turkish and Azerbaijani Turks are able to overcome any obstacle”
Turkish President gratitudes Azerbaijan for support to the Peace Spring op
Turkish President: "As Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said, one nation cannot have two diasporas"
Hungarian PM Viktor Orbán arrives in Azerbaijan
Donald Trump: "Big sanctions on Turkey coming"
First President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev arrives in Azerbaijan
Azerbaijan National Aviation Academy launches new courses on training of mechanics and avionics specialties
Russia’s energy chief says compliance of OPEC+ deal expected at 100% in October
Azerbaijani MFA comments on illegal participation of Konstantin Zatulin in "Forum" held in Khankendi
OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs' regional visit started
“NATO Days” started in Azerbaijan Army
President of Kyrgyzstan arrives in Azerbaijan
President Ilham Aliyev met with President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Academician Vasim Mammadaliyev buried - PHOTO SESSİON - UPDATED - 2
Azerbaijan invested USD 15.3 bln. in CCTS countries' economy over past 10 years
Turkish President arrives in Azerbaijan for visit
Azerbaijan’s airports served 4.3 million passengers in the first nine months of 2019
Azerbaijani and Uzbek Presidents meet
Azerbaijani FM: “Unequivocal support of Turkic Council for settlement of Nagorno Garabagh conflict is greatly appreciated"
President Ilham Aliyev signs obituary over death of academician Vasim Mammadaliyev
President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Kazakh ambassador - UPDATED
Erdogan: "We are proud of further growth of our solidarity in the Turkish world"
Nobel Prize in Economics awarded to Banerjee, Duflo and Kremer
President of Uzbekistan arrives in Azerbaijan
Mevlut Cavusoglu expresses gratitude to Azerbaijan for its support to Peace Spring operation
Ramiz Hasanov: “ Peace Spring operation may be discussed at 7th summit of Turkic Council”
Meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian and Turkish Foreign Ministers to be held by the end of year
Azerbaijani FM meets with Turkish counterpart
Deputy Minister: “Representation of Turkic Council in Hungary to strengthen ties with EU”
Turkish FM: “We are determined to take any measure in combating against terrorism”
Major blaze breaks out at commercial building in Mumbai, India
President of Uzbekistan starts a visit to Azerbaijan
Turkish Cypriot Prime Minister commented on President Mustafa Akinci’s remarks on Peace Spring
Azerbaijani and Hungarian Foreign Ministers discuss Syrian conflict
Turkish President starts a visit to Azerbaijan
Arms Control Inspection was conducted in the Combined Arms Army - VIDEO
International inspection team conducted evaluation in the Combined Arms Army - VIDEO
State Security Service: Members of a terrorist organization detained in Azerbaijan- VIDEO
Silk Way will organize annual Caspian Air Cargo Summit in Baku
Azerbaijani President and first lady inaugurated Koroglu Transport Exchange Center of Baku Transport Agency - UPDATED
Mariya Stadnik secures World Champion title after 10 years - PHOTOSESSİON
First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva viewed conditions created at newly-built park in Kurdakhani - UPDATED
Command and Staff Exercises began in the Azerbaijan Army
Days of Azerbaijani Culture open in Cannes organized by the Heydar Aliyev Foundation - PHOTOSESSION
Direct flight between Pakistan and Azerbaijan expected by 2020
Football: Turkey beat Albania 1-0 in Euro 2020 quals
Hungarian PM Viktor Orbán arrives in Azerbaijan