Onur Oymen: Armenian president's remarks on protocols were like 'funeral' - INTERVIEW
Former Undersecretary of the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, former Member of Turkish Parliament representing Republican People's Party (CHP) and well-known specialist on international relations Onur Oymen’s interview with APA
- A few days ago, Armenian president stated that protocols signed with Turkish government on August 31, 2009 in Switzerland have been abrogated. You had been against the signing of the Zurich protocols on October 9, 2009 and had continued this fight even after it was signed. What would you want to say about this after nine years?
- We have repeatedly said that normalization of relations with Armenia is absurd because it has so groundless claims against Turkey, and has committed Khojaly massacre and has been keeping Azerbaijan’s territories under occupation for long years. Zurich protocols were dead-born child. A few months later, Armenian Court of Constitution made a decision that the protocols will not be fulfilled because they were in contradiction with spirit of Declaration of Independence of Armenia and thrown them into a rubbish bin. At the time, I had repeatedly offered to withdraw the Zurich protocols from the agenda of The Grand National Assembly of Turkey. It was meaningless to keep the issue, which the people don’t accept, on the agenda of the parliament. Statement by the Armenian president looks like the burial of the dead. There is no meaning in signing protocols with a country which erects monument commemorating members of ASALA terrorist organization, which murdered Turkish diplomats, to try to normalize relations. Armenian president announced the decision that we forecasted nine years ago.
- You mean those who want to ‘normalize’ the relations between Turkey and Armenia must not forget results of Zurich protocols, don’t you?
- Of course. How can we talk about normalization of relations with a country which does not recognize Turkey’s territorial integrity, claims lands from us, slanders us with the claims of so-called ‘genocide’, keeps Azerbaijan’s territories under occupation and committed genocide against Turks?
- How will Armenia's decision to abrogate the Zurich protocols affect the integration of forces of Turkey and Azerbaijan?
- We must combine our forces in all fields. Turkey must bring the issue on Azerbaijan’s occupied territories and Khojaly genocide committed by Armenia up for discussion every day. Turkey should not allow this issue to stay out of world’s agenda. Turkey must do its best for fulfilment of UN Security Council’s resolutions. Fate of occupied seven regions must be focused on.
- How would you comment on Holland’s decision on recognition of so-called ‘Armenian genocide’ and Swedish court’s decision on refusal of municipality’s demand to erect monument of ‘Armenian genocide’?
- Before Holland, German Bundestag passed a decision to recognize so-called ‘Armenian genocide’ in early June 2016. All of these decisions are in contradiction with the international law. Despite Holland considers itself as a centre of international criminal law, parliament’s decision is groundless. Because for recognition of an event as the genocide, it’s needed a verdict by any local court or independent international court defined by the UN. As there is not any decision on 1915 events, the European Court for Human Rights had also hinted on the Perincek-Switzerland case that 1915 events cannot be characterized as ‘genocide’. Therefore, those decisions by parliaments are meaningless. Swedish court made a correct decision. Municipalities cannot pass a decision on ‘genocide’, they don’t have authority to erect monument of ‘genocide’. Europe and the world will understand it better.
Four die as car ploughs through Germany pedestrian zone - UPDATED
Mnuchin says will discuss government funding measure with Pelosi
Yerevan police detains 35 opposition activists demanding Pashinian's resignation
Azerbaijani and Qatari FMs hold phone conversation
Massive Puerto Rico telescope collapses
Car belonging to Russian embassy in Afghanistan blown up and some people injured
Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs hold phone conversation
Turkey reports 30,100+ new COVID-19 cases
UFC star Nurmagomedov says set to include MMA fighting on Olympics program
NATO welcomes cessation of hostilities in and around Nagorno-Karabakh, says Stoltenberg
Bitcoin price down by more than 6% at $18,444
Families of martyrs and war invalids receive an average monthly social allowance of AZN 700, Ministry
Dutch make masks mandatory as new coronavirus cases taper
Azerbaijani SSS releases information of the State Commission of the Republic of Azerbaijan on prisoners of war, hostages and missing persons
OIC Secretary General sends a letter to Azerbaijani President
Vilyam Hajiyev's detention term extended
Sputnik V vaccine trials begin in India
No intentional delay in the exchange of prisoners of war and the bodies of those killed in Karabakh, Lavrov says
Pfizer-BioNTech seek EU emergency approval for COVID-19 vaccine, target December rollout
Azerbaijan fully reclaims lands around Nagorno-Karabakh
Azerbaijani MoD: Delivery process of logistic support assets for the peacekeeping contingent continues
Facebook to get Kustomer in $1bn acquisition
Ganja teenager won a bronze medal at the International Olympiad in Informatics
Azerbaijani MoD: Marines who showed high professionalism in the Patriotic War returned to the place of permanent deployment
Orders and medals established on victory in Patriotic War
Commission: Rights of Armenian servicemen and civilians who surrendered to the Azerbaijani Army fully ensured
Title of "Hero of the Patriotic War" of the Republic of Azerbaijan established
Commission: Contacts are continued with ICRC and Russian peacekeeping command in order to determine fate of our missing servicemen
State Commission: Information that Armenian prisoners of war will be demonstrated in the military parade is false
NATO PA’s seminar dedicated to situation in South Caucasus held
Monitoring center in Azerbaijan will have the same number of servicemen from Russia and Turkey
Russian MoD disseminates information on transfer of Lachin region to control of Azerbaijan
International air traffic may recover in 2-3 years
IOC confirms Bach is only candidate for Olympic presidency
Von der Leyen: First vaccinations in EU possibly in December
Condolence book to be opened at the Iranian Embassy in Baku
Number of cultural facilities to be restored in Lachin, revealed
TABIB releases health statistics for Lachin region
COVID-19 deaths in Russia rise by 569 in past 24 hours, highest number on record
Became known who will be discharged from military service on mobilization from December 2 in Azerbaijan
Iranian-Azerbaijani customs cooperation discussed
Liberation of Lachin from occupation celebrated in Takhtakorpu - VIDEO
President Ilham Aliyev signs an order on demobilization of a group of servicemen
Committee chairman of Milli Majlis: “Liberation of Karabakh from occupation is a huge economic blow to Armenia which exploited its recourses”
Statistics of Lachin district on social payments announced
Azerbaijan documents 4426 fresh coronavirus cases, 1995 recoveries, 41 deaths in the last 24 hours
1,746,198 coronavirus tests conducted in Azerbaijan so far
Number of confirmed coronavirus cases reaches 125,602 in Azerbaijan, 1,433 deaths
Iran reports 382 coronavirus related deaths over past day
First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva congratulates Azerbaijani people on liberation of Lachin
Azerbaijani flag raised up in the liberated from occupation Lachin region - VIDEO
Units of the Azerbaijan Army entered the Lachin region - VIDEO
The other logistic support assets for the peacekeeping contingent were delivered - VIDEO
Azerbaijan State Tourism Agency prepares video about the sights of Shusha - VIDEO
Armenians target Azerbaijan's residential settlements, civilian population, and civilian facilities - PHOTOSESSION
Azerbaijani MP suggests to establish shelters for beggars
Azerbaijan commemorates Khojaly genocide - PHOTOSESSION
14 years pass since establishment of the Ministry of Emergency Situations: They always come to your aid in any difficult moments - PHOTOSESSION - VIDEO
First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva attended opening ceremony of rebuilt Azerbaijan pavilion at Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy in Moscow - UPDATED
UEFA banned Nurlan Ibrahimov from football for life
Azerbaijani Parliament adopts a statement protesting the resolution adopted by the French Senate - FULL TEXT
Assistant to Azerbaijani President: "This resolution is nothing but an ordinary piece of paper for Azerbaijan"
Hikmat Hajiyev: "Diplomatic corps have witnessed consequences of Armenia's brutal rocket and artillery attacks" - VIDEO