Onur Oymen: Armenian president's remarks on protocols were like 'funeral' - INTERVIEW
Former Undersecretary of the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, former Member of Turkish Parliament representing Republican People's Party (CHP) and well-known specialist on international relations Onur Oymen’s interview with APA
- A few days ago, Armenian president stated that protocols signed with Turkish government on August 31, 2009 in Switzerland have been abrogated. You had been against the signing of the Zurich protocols on October 9, 2009 and had continued this fight even after it was signed. What would you want to say about this after nine years?
- We have repeatedly said that normalization of relations with Armenia is absurd because it has so groundless claims against Turkey, and has committed Khojaly massacre and has been keeping Azerbaijan’s territories under occupation for long years. Zurich protocols were dead-born child. A few months later, Armenian Court of Constitution made a decision that the protocols will not be fulfilled because they were in contradiction with spirit of Declaration of Independence of Armenia and thrown them into a rubbish bin. At the time, I had repeatedly offered to withdraw the Zurich protocols from the agenda of The Grand National Assembly of Turkey. It was meaningless to keep the issue, which the people don’t accept, on the agenda of the parliament. Statement by the Armenian president looks like the burial of the dead. There is no meaning in signing protocols with a country which erects monument commemorating members of ASALA terrorist organization, which murdered Turkish diplomats, to try to normalize relations. Armenian president announced the decision that we forecasted nine years ago.
- You mean those who want to ‘normalize’ the relations between Turkey and Armenia must not forget results of Zurich protocols, don’t you?
- Of course. How can we talk about normalization of relations with a country which does not recognize Turkey’s territorial integrity, claims lands from us, slanders us with the claims of so-called ‘genocide’, keeps Azerbaijan’s territories under occupation and committed genocide against Turks?
- How will Armenia's decision to abrogate the Zurich protocols affect the integration of forces of Turkey and Azerbaijan?
- We must combine our forces in all fields. Turkey must bring the issue on Azerbaijan’s occupied territories and Khojaly genocide committed by Armenia up for discussion every day. Turkey should not allow this issue to stay out of world’s agenda. Turkey must do its best for fulfilment of UN Security Council’s resolutions. Fate of occupied seven regions must be focused on.
- How would you comment on Holland’s decision on recognition of so-called ‘Armenian genocide’ and Swedish court’s decision on refusal of municipality’s demand to erect monument of ‘Armenian genocide’?
- Before Holland, German Bundestag passed a decision to recognize so-called ‘Armenian genocide’ in early June 2016. All of these decisions are in contradiction with the international law. Despite Holland considers itself as a centre of international criminal law, parliament’s decision is groundless. Because for recognition of an event as the genocide, it’s needed a verdict by any local court or independent international court defined by the UN. As there is not any decision on 1915 events, the European Court for Human Rights had also hinted on the Perincek-Switzerland case that 1915 events cannot be characterized as ‘genocide’. Therefore, those decisions by parliaments are meaningless. Swedish court made a correct decision. Municipalities cannot pass a decision on ‘genocide’, they don’t have authority to erect monument of ‘genocide’. Europe and the world will understand it better.
President Ilham Aliyev attended opening of medical masks manufacturing enterprise in Sumgayit Chemical Industrial Park - UPDATED-1
Azerbaijani President addressed to people regarding coronavirus threat and taken measures
Community: "Elections" held on occupied territories is another blow to negotiations process
Residential areas to be given to low income young people in need of social protection
Financial support program prepared for providing salaries of 304 thousand hired employees, whose field damaged by coronavirus
32 of registered 55 parties submit their financial reports to the Azerbaijani CEC
Procedure for holding meetings of Azerbaijani Parliament this year via internet, determined
Speaker: “Once necessary equipment is available, Parliment’s plenary sessions will also be held online”
Memory of victims of Armenian chauvinism commemorated at Azerbaijani Parliament's meeting
Turkey coronavirus-related death toll rises by 76 to 725
New coronavirus cases in Italy fall to 25-day low, deaths rise by 604
UK finance minister Sunak, 39, next in line to lead country after Raab
China foreign exchange reserves drop to 17-month low
Trump says WHO is China-centric, 'really blew it' on coronavirus
France's Macron to address nation on Thursday on coronavirus crisis
Finland to begin randomised coronavirus antibody testing
Swiss coronavirus death toll rises to 641, positive tests surpass 22,000
UK death toll reaches 6,227
Ministry: Pardoned persons placed in one of recreation centers for two weeks
Euro zone to agree on half trillion-euro package against coronavirus
Global health fund calls for $8 billion to begin COVID-19 exit strategy
Forbes publishes rating of youngest billionaires of this year
Azerbaijan’s MES to provide people with psychological consultation
White House Press Secretary Grisham leaving post
Putin: "Whole country became virologists"
Putin gets tested for COVID-19 as often as necessary, Kremlin says
AZN 14.8 mln. allocated for the installation of 6 modular hospitals for coronavirus in Azerbaijan
WHO: Middle East still has chance to scale up coronavirus response
3 injured in explosion at Turkish missile factory
Putin sends message of hope to UK PM Boris Johnson to defeat coronavirus
Zarif: "Iran ready to cooperate with Turkey on fight against COVID-19 outbreak"
Uzbekistan announces 15 new Covid-19 cases, 472 in total
Boris Johnson does not have coronavirus pneumonia and isn't on a ventilator
Javad Zarif: "We don't need charity from Trump"
OPEC+ countries discussing oil production cuts from May to end of July
Azerbaijan’s MES continues disinfection works - VIDEO
Azerbaijan coronavirus cases reach 717, deaths 8, while 44 recovered
Azerbaijan confirms 76 fresh cases of coronavirus, 1 death
Azerbaijan's TABIB appeals to blood donors
Russian vaccine put on WHO list of promising anti-coronavirus vaccines
First coronavirus case recorded in Nagorno Karabakh
OPEC Secretariat invites several non-OPEC+ member states to meeting
Lukashenko: "No exponential growth in new coronavirus cases"
One more UK Minister isolates himself with coronavius suspicion
WhatsApp to impose limit on forwarded messages to slow spread of coronavirus fake news
UK's Queen Elizabeth thanks health workers around the world
Azerbaijani Agency: Antibiotics can’t be used for treatment of coronavirus
All border-crossing points between Georgia and Azerbaijan closed
Germany’s embassy thanks Azerbaijan for solidarity and friendship gesture
WHO warns against easing coronavirus measures too early
Finland extends border controls until May 13
Embassy of Azerbaijan makes a post regarding Boris Johnson, who infected with coronavirus
11 MPs of Iran Parliament tested positive for coronavirus
Azerbaijan ends execution of pardon order
Iran death toll spikes to 3,872 with 62,589 infected in total
Spain’s death toll reaches 13,798 with 140,510 confirmed cases
Medical Biological Agency begins clinical trials of drug to treat coronavirus pneumonias
Romania to extend state of emergency by 30 days
Russia confirms its participation in OPEC+ meeting on April 9
UN Secretary General: "Horrifying global surge is observed in domestic violence as a result of COVID-19"
436 flats allocated for military servicemen in Hovsan residential complex - VIDEO
Instructional video, regarding use rules of SMS permission system, prepared for citizens
Heydar Aliyev Center supports countries, which widely infected with COVID-19 - VIDEO
Azerbaijan commemorates Khojaly genocide - PHOTOSESSION
14 years pass since establishment of the Ministry of Emergency Situations: They always come to your aid in any difficult moments - PHOTOSESSION - VIDEO
First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva attended opening ceremony of rebuilt Azerbaijan pavilion at Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy in Moscow - UPDATED
Open Doors Day and the military oath-taking ceremony were held on the occasion of the State Flag Day
An exhibition that also presents President Ilham Aliyev's photo opened in Moscow
State Migration Service address to foreigners and stateless persons regarding movement restriction