Candidate to the post of Georgian Parliament Speaker revealed
- 11 December 2020
The newly elected parliament of Georgia will convene its first session at 12 p.m. on December 11, APA reports citing Agenda.
However, it will be comprised only of ruling Georgian Dream party members, as the opposition refuses to attend.
Opposition politicians voted into parliament remain unanimous in their decision to boycott the new parliament, and say they intend to have their MP status rescinded.
Expressing readiness to continue negotiations with the opposition, ruling party executive secretary Irakli Kobakhidze hopes they would end the boycott one day.
Let’s wait and see”, he said at a news briefing earlier today, confident that opposition politicians will take their mandates eventually.
Meanwhile, during the briefing Kobakhidze, who will be the majority leader in the tenth convocation of parliament, has nominated new parliament speaker, his deputies, and the chairs of committees.
- Parliament speaker - Archil Talakvadze
- First vice speaker - Gia Volski
- Vice speakers - Kakha Kuchava and Davit Sergeenko
- Chair of Georgian Dream faction - Mamuka Mdinaradze
- Legal issues committee - Anri Okhanashvili
- Human rights and civic integration committee - Mikheil Sarjveladze
- Defence and security committee - Irakli Beraia
- Procedural issues and rules committee - Irakli Kadagishvili
- Regional policy and self-government committee - Sozar Subari
- Budget and finance committee - Irakli Kovzanadze
- Sector economy and economic policy committee - Davit Somgulashvili
- Agrarian issues committee - Nino Tsilosani
- Environment protection and natural resources committee - Maia Bitadze
- Foreign relations committee - Nikoloz Samkharadze
- European integration committee - Maka Botchorishvili
- Diaspora and Caucasus issues committee - Beka Odisharia
- Healthcare and social issues committee - Dimitri Khundadze
- Education, science and culture committee - Tea Tsulukiani
- Sports and youth issues committee - Mikheil Kavelashvili