Coronavirus kills two in Italy as the town of Lombardy is put on lockdown

Coronavirus kills two in Italy as the town of Lombardy is put on lockdown
  • Clock-gray 13:39
  • calendar-gray 22 February 2020

Two coronavirus patients in Italy have today died from the Covid-19 disease that has now killed more than 2,200 people and infected more than 75,000, APA reports citing Daily Mail. 

The first to die, a 78-year-old man, passed away in a hospital in north eastern Italy on Friday evening.

Adriano Trevisan, a retired bricklayer, had been admitted to the hospital for another health issue ten days ago said local authorities.

The second patient to die was a woman whose identity is yet to be released and has triggered the closing down of shops, offices and community centres. 

Six Italians tested positive for the coronavirus yesterday in the northern Italian region of Lombardy, a local official said in the first known cases of local transmission in Italy of the potentially deadly illness.

'We have got six cases of coronavirus,' Lombardy councillor Giulio Gallera told a news conference, adding that hundreds of people who had been in contact with the patients were now being tested to see if they had been infected.

The first person confirmed to have contracted the virus was believed to have fallen ill after meeting a friend who had recently returned from China. 

Residents of the northern towns of Codogno and Castiglione d'Adda were being urged to stay at home as medical tests continued.

The only other fatality in Europe was a Chinese tourist who died last week in France. 

apa-logo-mini

Other news

Archive

date