FIFA to ask US Department of Justice for more information on probe into corruption cases
The world’s governing football body, FIFA, will request from the US Department of Justice additional information regarding alleged cases of graft among its officials during the selection of the host countries for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, FIFA said in a statement provided to TASS on Tuesday, APA reports citing TASS.
On Monday, the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York published an indictment, which claims in particular that some high-ranking officials with the world’s governing body of football, FIFA, were bribed in exchange for their votes in support of Russia and Qatar to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, respectively.
According to the statement posted on the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, "schemes alleged in the Indictment relate to the payment and receipt of bribes and kickbacks in connection with, among other things, contracts for the media and marketing rights to additional soccer events and FIFA’s selection of the countries to host various editions of the World Cup, including the World Cup hosted by Russia in 2018 and the World Cup scheduled to be hosted by Qatar in 2022."
In response to a request from TASS to comment on the indictment, the world’s governing body of football stated: "FIFA supports all investigations into alleged acts of criminal wrong-doing regarding either domestic or international football competitions, and will continue to provide full cooperation to law enforcement officials investigating such matters."
"FIFA is closely following these investigations and all related developments in the legal processes ongoing in the United States and other parts of the world," the statement reads.
"It is important to point out that FIFA has itself been accorded victim status in the US criminal proceedings and senior FIFA officials are in regular contact with the US Department of Justice. Following the latest indictment, FIFA will ask the DOJ [the US Department of Justice] for further information on these matters."
The global football organization also pointed out that "The FIFA Ethics Committee has already imposed sanctions, including life bans, on football officials mentioned in this process."
"So far as FIFA is concerned, should any acts of criminal wrong-doing by football officials be established, the individuals in question should be subject to penal sanctions," the statement from FIFA reads. "As the respective criminal cases are ongoing we are not in a position to comment further for the time being."
FIFA earlier conducted an investigation into the current issue and did not find violations in the selection of the host countries for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Russian Presidential Spokesman Dmitry Peskov said earlier in the day that "Russia was granted the right to host the world championship on an absolutely legal basis," adding that Russia categorically denies allegations of bribery.
Alexei Sorokin, the former director general of the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) Russia-2018, told TASS he viewed the recent indictment on the case of bribery among FIFA officials as another attempt of a smear campaign against the Russian bid for the 2018 World Cup.
A chain of corruption scandals rocked FIFA almost five years ago. Everything flared up with an unprecedented scandal on the morning of May 27, 2015, one day before the 65th FIFA Congress in Zurich, where nine of the organization’s high-ranking officials were arrested in a hotel in Switzerland on bribery, money laundering and corruption charges. In all, charges were later pressed against 14 FIFA officials.
Ex-FIFA President Sepp Blatter, who was 79 years old at that time, FIFA’s then-Secretary General Jerome Valcke and then-president of UEFA Michel Platini were dismissed from their posts in the course of the notorious corruption scandal.
Hikmet Hajiyev about martyr soldier Solnsev Dmitriy Aleksandrovich: As ethnic Russian he was proud citizen of multicultural Azerbaijan
Hungary registers record 3,149 daily COVID cases
Rally under slogan "End to Armenian aggression" held in London - VIDEO
Azerbaijani MoD: Enemy was forced to retreat, suffering losses
Azerbaijani MoD: Enemy is destroyed by air and land
Video footage of liberated from the occupation villages of Jabrayil and Zangilan regions - VIDEO
Serviceman of Azerbaijani Army: “Our way is to Shusha” - VIDEO
Global coronavirus cases surpass 43 million
Azerbaijani President sends letter to leaders of Indonesia, Niger, Dominican Republic, Vietnam, South Africa and St. Vincent and the Grenadiers
MoD: Firing points of the enemy were destroyed - VIDEO
Ganja terrorism strongly condemned in Copenhagen
6,191 new COVID-19 cases recorded in Iran over the past 24 hours
Erdogan: “As Turkey is supporter of right and rightful side, captured hearts"
Belgium hits new record in daily virus cases of 17,709
Number of confirmed coronavirus cases reaches 49,959 in Azerbaijan, 671 deaths
1,291,534 coronavirus tests conducted in Azerbaijan so far
Azerbaijan documents 946 fresh coronavirus cases, 228 recoveries, 7 deaths in the last 24 hours
Interview of President Ilham Aliyev becomes most read article
Azerbaijani NGOs appeal to international organizations
There'll be data on if vaccine is safe and effective by no earlier than late November, US Infectious Disease expert says
Spain PM gears up for new state of emergency to curb outbreak
Assistant to Azerbaijani President: Military attacks from territory of Armenia against Azerbaijan are acts of aggression as enshrined in UN Charter
Turkey to continue exploration in East Med until Nov. 4
Ministry of Defense spreads video footage of the liberated from occupation villages of the Gubadly region - VIDEO
ANAMA: Armenian military forces targeted Mesheli village of Goranboy region of Azerbaijan
Rally in protest of terror acts committed in Ganja held in Canada
Lieutenant of Azerbaijani Army: "All personnel of unit has high fighting spirit"
MoD: Enemy is shelling our human settlements
Hikmat Hajiyev: Alexandr Nevski Russian Church memorial service for teenagee Artur Mayakov who has died as result of Armenia's reckless ballistic missile strike to Ganja
Kyrgyzstan reports 606 new COVID-19 cases, 55,750 in total
Azerbaijan Army uses precision weapons against the enemy - VIDEO
Germany’s confirmed coronavirus cases rise by 11,176 to 429,181
Russia's coronavirus death toll exceeds 26.000
Memorial service for 13-year-old Artur Mayakov, killed as a result of Armenian terrorism in Ganja, being held
Prosecutor General’s Office appealed to social network users and mass media representatives
Armenia records 23 more deaths from coronavirus over the past day
Georgia's coronavirus death toll surpasses 200
Azerbaijani servicemen: "Our tricolor flag will be waved in all our occupied lands - VIDEO
Hikmat Hajiyev: “Co-chair countries should ensure neutrality and impartiality in mediation mission”
President Ilham Aliyev gave an interview to U.S. Fox News TV channel
Coronavirus infection rate over regions of Azerbaijan announced
Highest coronavirus infection rate over Baku is in Binagadi district
Azerbaijan's Ministry of Defense addresses social media users
Pence's Chief of Staff tests positive for COVID-19, VP remains healthy, spokesman says
Rally in support of Garabagh held in the Republic of Northern Cyprus - PHOTO
Defense Ministry: Enemy suffered heavy losses in manpower and artillery pieces
WHO reports record increase in confirmed COVID-19 cases of over 465,000 in 24 hours
UN Treaty on prohibition of nuclear weapons gathers 50 ratifications, goes into force in early 2021
MoD: Our troops are inflicting serious fire damage on enemy in the territories of the Khojavend, Gubadli, and Lachin regions
Death toll from Kabul suicide attack rises to 30, 70 injured
MoD: The enemy's combat equipment was destroyed - VIDEO
Rally called “Armenia kills civilian population. End to Armenian aggression” being held in biggest shopping mall of Islamabad - VIDEO
MoD: The enemy's artillery units and command post were destroyed - VIDEO
Destruction of the volunteer groups and military equipment of the Armenian armed forces in the Khojavend and Fizuli directions of the front - VIDEO
Armenians target Azerbaijan's residential settlements, civilian population, and civilian facilities - PHOTOSESSION
Azerbaijani MP suggests to establish shelters for beggars
Azerbaijan commemorates Khojaly genocide - PHOTOSESSION
14 years pass since establishment of the Ministry of Emergency Situations: They always come to your aid in any difficult moments - PHOTOSESSION - VIDEO
First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva attended opening ceremony of rebuilt Azerbaijan pavilion at Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy in Moscow - UPDATED
President of Azerbaijan: “So far, the enemy’s 241 tanks have been destroyed, 39 tanks were taken as military trophy”
President Ilham Aliyev: Zangilan city and 6 villages of the region, 18 villages of Fuzuli, Jabrayil and Khojavend regions liberated from occupation
Hikmat Hajiyev: “About 24 thousand missiles were launched on Azerbaijan’s residential settlements, civilian facilities by Armenia”
Israeli Ambassador: Attacks on civilians unacceptable regardless of nationality or religion