Javad Zarif: "Iran showing 'maximum restraint' in face of US exit from nuclear deal"

Javad Zarif: "Iran showing 'maximum restraint' in face of US exit from nuclear deal"
  • Clock-gray 13:40
  • calendar-gray 16 May 2019

The statement comes after the United States deployed an aircraft carrier strike group and a bomber task force to the Persian Gulf last week in what White House National Security Adviser John Bolton described as an "unmistakable" message to Iran that any attack on US or allied interests would be met with "unrelenting force", ONAreports citing Sputnik.

Iran remains committed to its obligations under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, also known as the 2015 nuclear deal, in the face of the unilateral US pullout from the agreement last May, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Thursday, calling the re-imposition of anti-Tehran sanctions "unacceptable".

"We believe that escalation by the United States is unacceptable and uncalled for. We exercise maximum restraint in spite of the fact that the United States withdrew from [the] JCPOA last May", Zarif said in Tokyo where he is holding talks with his Japanese counterpart.

The remarks by Iran's top diplomat come shortly after US President Donald Trump tweeted that he's convinced that Tehran "will want to talk soon" about its nuclear programme, and denied reports of the Pentagon's plans to deploy 120,000 American troops to the Middle East if Iran accelerates its nuclear weapons development.

apa-logo-mini

Other news

Archive

date