One of the attackers on N Korean Embassy in Madrid contacted FBI after incident

One of the attackers on N Korean Embassy in Madrid contacted FBI after incident
  • Clock-gray 17:58
  • calendar-gray 26 March 2019

In February, Spanish media reported that a group of attackers broke into the North Korean Embassy in Madrid, took diplomatic staff hostage for several hours and seized their computers, ONAinforms citing Sputnik.

Spain's high court said on Monday that one of North Korean Embassy intruders had contacted the FBI just days before the incident that took place on 22 February.

The intruders reportedly included citizens of Mexico, the United States and South Korea.

Earlier this month, El Confidencial newspaper reported that US intelligence agencies may have been behind the attack on the mission, during which a group of unknown individuals broke into the embassy, took diplomatic personnel hostage and seized their computers. The media outlet said that Spain's National Police and the foreign intelligence unit of the National Intelligence Centre (CNI) were looking into all possible versions of what had happened.

CNI allegedly suspected that the way the diplomatic premises were attacked resembled the "method of work" of US intelligence services during secret ops.

The newspaper further cited embassy staff as telling investigators that some intruders spoke Korean and could be a nation of South Korea, a "US strategic ally".

In a parallel development, El Mundo newspaper reported that Spanish police had discovered rifles and several pieces of short-barreled weapons during their searches in the embassy following the incident.

 

Aida Tinayeva

Other news