- Nagorno Garabagh
ICRC President: "Up to now, 8031 biological samples from close relatives of 2577 missing people were collected" - INTERVIEW
Interview of the President of the International Committee of the Red Cross Peter Maurer to APA
– It is a long time that the ICRC has a Delegation in Azerbaijan. Are you satisfied with the level of cooperation with the Azerbaijani Government? Are you satisfied with the activities of Baku Delegation?
– Since we opened our delegation in Baku in 1992 we have enjoyed a positive and cooperative relationship with the authorities that have evolved very fruitfully.
This is key to carry out our role as a neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian organization assisting the victims of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
This good relationship has among others enabled us to assist civilians living in the communities exposed to the conflict, visit detention places, seek to clarify the fate of people who went missing in relation to the conflict. We also work closely with the Ministry of Defense on integration and implementation of international humanitarian law.
Our teams in Barda and Baku work closely with the community, using new approaches to get better results and reduce risks for communities living along the international border and line of contact in close cooperation with our main partner, the Azerbaijan Red Crescent Society (AzRCS).
For example, we piloted saffron planting that needs no water and little land, and introduced alternative ways to irrigate fields and reduce water consumption.
These initiatives were highly appreciated by the communities and authorities, showing the importance of creating synergies with the government on such activities.
– The ICRC cooperates with Azerbaijan and Armenia in the field of clarification of fate of missing as a result of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. What is done so far?
– It is important to remind that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict led to more than 4500 persons going missing in the whole region. The ICRC in Baku enjoys an excellent cooperation with the State Commission on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons. This allows to perform one of the most important steps in the search of missing persons, which is collection and preservation of vital information needed for identification once the conditions will allow for the exhumations to take place.
We always keep the focus on the humanitarian goals, which are to give answers to families on the whereabouts and fate of their loved ones and enable them to have proper closure.
– Azerbaijan proposed to exchange Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev with Armenian citizens Karen Kazaryan and Araik Kazaryan. This proposal was passed to the opposite side through the ICRC. What was the reaction of the opposite side? What is currently being done in this direction?
– The ICRC has been called upon by the sides to the conflict to play its role as neutral intermediary at numerous occasions, on different humanitarian endeavors. This remain in many cases on a bilateral and confidential level, which is often the case when it comes to prisoners’ release.
According to its mandate, the ICRC representatives visit individuals detained in relation to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict on a regular basis to monitor treatment and conditions of detention and ensure that the detainees can maintain contact with their families.
– According to the framework agreement on “The Collection and Centralized Management of Ante-Mortem data on Missing Persons”, signed by the State Commission on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons of Azerbaijan and the ICRC, DNA samples are being collected from close relatives of missing. How many have already been collected?
– Collection and preservation of information on missing people including the DNA is a huge task done jointly between by the ICRC and the State Commission. Up to now, 8031 biological samples from close relatives of 2577 missing people were collected in 39 cities and districts.
– As a result of the conflict, unmarked burials appear. What is being done to search for unknown graves/ burials?
– This is the information collected and preserved by the State Commission on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons. They get information from different sources and register it.
We provided training and technical support to them on the ways to document and protect those sites.
ICRC support to the State Commission for mapping graves/burials includes training relevant staff, development of necessary tools for collecting and managing data, as well as the processing and analyzing this information.
A lot of the work consists of gathering different relevant sources, such as archive or eyewitness accounts, of information on missing persons in a systematic and organized manner.
– As far as I know, this is your first visit to Azerbaijan as the President of the ICRC. What could you say about this visit?
– Yes, it is my first time in Baku and in Azerbaijan and I would like to thank the Government of Azerbaijan for the invitation to attend the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Summit, the reason of my visit. This is an important opportunity for the ICRC to meet with the NAM members as partners in addressing critical humanitarian challenges in conflicts around the world.
Using the opportunity, I had a chance to meet with the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan Mr. Elmar Mammadyarov where we discussed various humanitarian issues.
I also had a chance to meet with Dr. Novruz Aslanov, the President of the AzRCS. We discussed excellent relationship and the fruitful cooperation within the Movement which I believe will further continue and develop. Civilians living in the areas exposed to the consequences of the conflict benefit from our joint activities in different spheres.
Polad Bulbuloglu: "We expect support from the co-chair countries in resolution of the conflict"
Pompeo: “United States remains strongly committed to peaceful resolution of Nagorno Garabagh conflict”
Aybaniz Ismayilova: “We call on Germany to increase its efforts for restoration of territorial integrity of Azerbaijan”
Head of the Azerbaijani community of the Nagorno-Karabakh: Justice is on our side and, unlike the Armenians, we are ready for peace
Azerbaijan’s MFA: The fact that the aggressor country speaks about peace in its statements is the highest degree of hypocrisy
Two Azerbaijanis recorded video in Yerevan: Armenian special services, you can't work! - VIDEO
Tural Ganjaliyev issues statement regarding so called “oath taking” ceremony to be held in Azerbaijan’s Shusha City
Azerbaijan’s MFA: Holding illegal “elections” and so-called “inauguration” - another manifestation of the annexation policy of Armenia
Azerbaijan's letter to the UN Secretary General regarding Pashinyan's visit to Nagorno-Karabakh circulated as UN document
Deputy: “Activity of Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno Garabagh irritates the opposite side”
Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno Garabagh releases statement on the 28th anniversary of occupation of Lachyn
Azerbaijani MFA releases statement on the 28th anniversary of the occupation of the Lachyn district
Azerbaijani community of Nagorno-Karabakh issue statement on the anniversary of the ceasefire
Maria Zakharova: "Exchange of deteinees is always on the agenda of Nagorno-Karabakh negotiations"
APA TV turns 7
Municipal transport services resumed in Georgia
76 more coronavirus patients die in Moscow
WHO: Over 104,000 people contract COVID-19 across the world in past day
Chairman of US Helsinki Commission congratulates Azerbaijan
Some sectors of Australian economy will need additional support, says PM Morrison
Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia violated ceasefire 25 times throughout the day
Some 14% of Muscovites develop antibodies to COVID-19, says mayor
China reports no new coronavirus cases for May 28
Al-Shabaab militants kidnap, kill 9 doctors in Southern Somalia
U.N. delays crucial climate summit for a year, cites pandemic
Fire rips through crowded Cameroon prison
Sudan army officer dies, soldiers hurt in attack by Ethiopian militia
Turkey imposes weekend virus curfew in 15 provinces
Trump, Macron agree G7 should be held in person and in near future: White House
The Azerbaijani flag has been projected on the world's tallest building
U.S. State Department clears $1.4 billion sale of Patriot air and missile system to Kuwait
Trump could sign order on social media companies later on Thursday: White House
1,182 new cases were reported in Turkey
Turkey, Russia conduct 13th joint patrol in Idlib, Syria
Fourth Iranian fuel tanker enters Venezuelan waters
France to reopen restaurants, bars and beaches from June 2: PM
Russia to launch first satellite to monitor space junk in 2027
UK will increase visa rights if China pursues Hong Kong security law
Speaker of the Turkish Grand National Assembly congratulates Azerbaijan
Number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Azerbaijan reach 4 759, with 56 deaths
Azerbaijan documents 191 fresh coronavirus cases, 2 deaths
WHO official: European deaths spike since March linked to COVID-19
Georgian President congratulates Azerbaijan
American Airlines to cut 30% of management staff
Maria Zakharova congratulates Azerbaijani people on Republic Day
Gentiloni: "Italy to spend EU money now, keep debt in check later"
Secretary-General of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
President of Vietnam congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
Erdogan congratulates Azerbaijan
Number of Baku population announced
Algeria's president congratulates Azerbaijani President
Polad Bulbuloglu: "We expect support from the co-chair countries in resolution of the conflict"
Date of meeting of the Russian-Azerbaijani intergovernmental commission and 11th interregional forum unveiled
Russian watchdog says 300,000 people remain under medical observation over coronavirus
Iranian MFA congratulates Azerbaijani people and government
Prime Minister of Pakistan expresses gratitude to President Ilham Aliyev
Spain says Nissan has decided to close its Barcelona plant
Ekrem Imamoglu congratulates Azerbaijan
Andrey Rudenko: We hopefully look at future of the Russian-Azerbaijani relations
Ukraine reports 477 new coronavirus cases in past day, overall number exceeds 22,000
Coronavirus kills 63 people in Iran within 24 hrs
Romanian Foreign Ministry congratulates Azerbaijan on Republic Day
Newsweek: American NGOs against Azerbaijan and Israel - Who is sponsoring them?
Le Maire: "French economy likely to shrink over 8% in 2020"