Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian presidentâ€™s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20 February 2018
Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev has commented on the Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan’s congratulatory message addressed to the illegal regime established in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
The fact that the Armenian president in his message proudly quotes Monte Melkonyan, who was a member of the Armenian terrorist organization ASALA and involved in the murder of tens of civilians, proves the true essence of the Armenian government and of the aggressive separatist movement that began in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region in late 1980s, Hajiyev told APA.
He noted that the Armenian leader, who first appeared as field commanders alongside terrorist Monte Melkonyan and who still adheres to this thinking, presents results of terror against Azerbaijan, military aggression, bloody ethnic cleansing, war crimes and criminal acts against humanity as "a success".
“Instead of deceiving itself and the Armenian people, Armenia's military dictatorship should recognize the aggressive Armenian separatism, which began in the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan, and the military occupation of Azerbaijani territories as the reason behind Armenia's current strategic failure,” the spokesman added.
– The temporary and tactical occupation of the Azerbaijani territories by Armenia has resulted in Armenia’s geopolitical and geo-economic isolation and strategic defeat, leaving it out of regional projects and depleting its political, military, economic, social and demographic resources. Furthermore, this situation has cast doubt on Armenia’s existence as a sovereign state;
– The whole world community, except Armenia, recognizes and supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and sovereignty within its internationally recognized borders. This position is enshrined in relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council, statements, resolutions and decisions of the OSCE, Organization of Islamic Cooperation, Council of Europe, European Union, NATO, Non-Aligned Movement and other international organizations, as well as in statements and binary documents of other states;
– Armenia’s attempts to politicize the military occupation of Azerbaijani territories and legitimize the occupation by fraudulent self-determination have failed. The international community has never recognized and will never recognize the consequences of Armenia’s military occupation of Azerbaijani territories through the use of force;
– The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs and the whole international community consider the occupation-based status quo unacceptable and unsustainable and demand its change. Changing the status quo, first of all, envisages the elimination of the fact of occupation;
– The political and legal framework for a phased solution to the conflict is known to the entire international community. This envisages the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories, ensuring the territorial integrity and sovereignity of Azerbaijan within its internationally recognized borders, the return of Azerbaijani refugees and IDPs, including the Azerbaijani community of Nagorno-Karabakh to their native lands and the coexistence of the Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh within Azerbaijan’s borders. This is based on the norms and principles of international law, as well as the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council and the Helsinki Final Act.
– Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan, the policy of occupation and ethnic cleansing, as well as the terrorist acts committed against Azerbaijani civilians by Armenia at the state level, military crimes and crimes against humanity exposed the Armenian lies and undermined Armenia’s image as a state.
According to Hajiyev, the sooner the Armenian leadership realizes this reality and puts an end to the occupation of Azerbaijani territories, the sooner lasting peace and stability will be established in the region and the Armenian population will be able to benefit the opportunities of regional cooperation.