Azerbaijani Deputy Defense Minister: “We never violate ceasefire” - INTERVIEW
- 24 April 2019
ONA’s interview with Deputy Defense Minister of Azerbaijan, Lieutenant-General Karim Valiyev, who took part in the 8th Moscow Conference of International Security in Russia
- OSCE’s latest annual report notes that the tensions on the contact line between the Azerbaijani and Armenian troops have dropped significantly. In the statements of the Defense Ministry, we can see that the ceasefire violations are declining. What this is related to?
- This happened after the meeting of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief with the Prime Minister of Armenia. Of course, we never violate the ceasefire. The ceasefire is violated by the opposite side, and we respond adequately. Now, the ceasefire violations have declined following the instruction of the other side’s leadership. After that, the tensions on the contact line between the troops have dropped.
- It was announced that at the latest meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in Moscow there were agreements on humanitarian cooperation. What can you say about this?
- This is an intention. This is, of course, possible if a mechanism is discussed in detail and implemented.
- What can you say about the current state and combat preparedness of our Army?
- The combat preparedness of our Army is at a high level. The Azerbaijani army is currently capable of fulfilling all its tasks. The Supreme Commander-in-Chief and the Ministry of Defence pay great attention to the capacity and the combat capability of the army. The situation in the army is being improved, by regular checking of combat readiness, implementing planned and purposeful programs, high level of moral-psychological preparation, procurement activities and other important issues. The Ministry of Defence pays great attention to the improvement of professionalism of the staff. We take action in complementation of the staff of the Army. Both advanced officers and warrant and non-commissioned officers’ staff are the fundamental force of the Army.
- How do you evaluate the level of military cooperation between Azerbaijan and Russia?
- The level of cooperation between the two countries is high. It is developed in different directions. First of all, the military-technical cooperation between Azerbaijan and Russia is highly developing. Another direction of the cooperation that is also important for us is collaboration in military educational sphere. Azerbaijan is participating in Army games organized by Russia every year. “Sea Cup” competition that is included in the games is organized at the Azerbaijan part of the Caspian Sea. This year our military servicemen will participate at the “Spasskaya Bashnya” project. Shortly, the military cooperation between the two countries is expanding.