The city of Shusha faced large-scale destruction as a result of Armenian attacks in 1905, 1920, and 1992, APA reports.
Shusha Castle is among the architectural pearls that suffered from Armenian aggression.
When the city of Shusha was built in 1752 by Karabakh Khan Panahali Khan Javanshir, a fortress wall was also built around the city. Shusha Castle is known to have three main gates - Ganja, Iravan and Agoglan gates. The names of all three gates are often mentioned in historical sources, and their names are mentioned in the General Plans of Shusha prepared in the 19th century.
At present, only the Ganja gate of the fortress has survived, while the Agoglan and Iravan gates have been destroyed along with the fortress walls.
Iravan Gate is one of the three main gates of Shusha Castle and is located in the western direction of the castle. Iravan Gate was also called Khalfali Gate. It should be noted that there is also a village of the same name in the Shusha region, that gate opened in the direction of Khalfali village. The road leading from this gate connected the city of Shusha with the village of Khalfali and the city of Iravan.
The Iravan gate was once built for the passage of dignitaries and cargo from Western Azerbaijan (the ancient lands of Azerbaijan, now called Armenia).
APA's correspondent in Shusha filmed the last images of the Iravan Gate and the remains of the western part of Shusha Castle. The remains of the castle walls and roof are still standing today. At the same time, there are remains of a tunnel with a passage in four directions in the inner part of the castle walls.
As a whole, the walls of the fortress extending to the west have collapsed and become unusable.