Starting from December 18, the United States would re-introduce its sanctions against Iran’s Fordow uranium enrichment facility, US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo has told journalists, APA reports citing TASS.
"[Iranian] President [Hassan] Rouhani recently announced that Iran will begin uranium enrichment activities at the Fordow facility. Therefore, the United States will terminate the sanctions waiver related to the nuclear facility at Fordow, effective December 15th, 2019," he said on Monday.
"The right amount of uranium enrichment for the world’s largest state sponsor of terror is zero," the US top diplomat continued. "Iran originally constructed Fordow as a fortified, underground bunker to conduct secret uranium enrichment work, and there is no legitimate reason for Iran to resume enrichment at this previously clandestine site. Iran should reverse its activity there immediately."
In his words, "the only viable way forward is through comprehensive negotiations that address the full range of Iran’s threats in their entirety."
"Iran’s most recent action is yet another clear attempt at nuclear extortion that will only deepen its political and economic isolation from the world," Pompeo said.