“The European Human Rights Court in its decision dated April 22, 2010 has come to an important conclusion by assessing the behavior of participants of attack on the city as the actions equated to war crimes or crimes against humanity”, said Khalaf Khalafov, deputy minister of Foreign Affairs at the art exhibition dedicated to the 28th anniversary of Khojaly genocide, APA reports.
The deputy minister said so far the legislative bodies of 16 states, as well as the Organization of Islamic Cooperation adopted resolution and decisions regarding the strictest denouncement of massacre of civilian population in Khojaly and recognition of Khojaly tragedy as a genocide and a crime against humanity.
Kh. Khalafov said as a result of the investigation conducted by Azerbaijan’s investigative bodies, the actions committed by Armenians in Khojaly have been proved to be a crime and a genocide: “The Azerbaijani side continues its international efforts so that the perpetrators of this crime and genocide would receive their deserved punishment. Besides, the well-known criminal actions committed in Khojaly require bringing to individual responsibility of the perpetrators of this crime”.
Kh. Khalafov noted that as a result of the promotion of Khojaly genocide at the international scale including the events organized in the framework of “Justice to Khojaly” campaign, a number of countries have adopted the documents reproaching Khojaly genocide: “Khojaly genocide ranks with the gravest genocides having taken place in the world. But I would like to note with regret that no proper appraisal has been given to Khojaly genocide by the world community”.