President Hassan Rouhani on Wednesday inspected damage caused by flash floods in northern Iran and promised compensation to all those affected as the nationwide death toll reached 30, ONA reports quoting Reuters.
Rouhani, accused by critics of mishandling the crisis, took several ministers with him to Golestan Province, whose governor was dismissed on Saturday amid public outrage over his absence from work. He had been abroad when the disaster hit.
At least 30 people have been confirmed dead and hundreds suffered injuries in the floods, officials said on Wednesday.
“We will rebuild Golestan just as it was before, and we will stand by your side,” Tasnim news agency quoted Rouhani as telling a gathering of villagers.
In a country more accustomed to drought, Rouhani said the floods, caused by torrential rain, had affected 25 of Iran’s 31 provinces and that the scale of the disaster had overwhelmed emergency services in some areas.
“The government will use all means and will compensate all those who have sustained damages to their houses, businesses and farms,” Rouhani was quoted as saying by state media.