Ministry of Youth and and Sport of the Republic of Azerbaijan and National Olympic Committee have released a joint statement, APA-Sport reports.
Action plan, which will be prepared regarding postponement of Tokyo Olympic Games to 2021, has been revealed in the statement.
It is noted that Japanese PM Shinzo Abe has suggested President of International Olympic Commitee Thomas Bach to postpone Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games to 2021 due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemics and the President positively responded: "Azerbaijan is one of the countries, which always takes an active part in Olympic Games during its independence and ranks in leading places for its results. Preparation of our athletes has always had great importance and has been carried out on the basis of special program.
Taking into consideration the above-mentioned provisions, the following measures will be implemented in connection with holding the Olympic Games in 2021 (the month yet to be clarified):
- during the period of 1 year left till commencement of the Games, implementation of the preparation works based on the previously developed system;
- the consistent continuation of implementation of the program of control over the athletes having reached the highest level of preparedness in 2020 so that they would remain in the fit state till 2021;
- preparation by federations of the list of athletes in reserve;
- Consolidation of work with young and promising athletes;
- continuation of training and couching camps in special conditions and under surveillance after preliminary check and testing of athletes’ health during the quarantine period."