Some 50,000 evacuated over wildfires near Los Angeles

Some 50,000 evacuated over wildfires near Los Angeles
  • Clock-gray 09:07
  • calendar-gray 25 October 2019

Some 50,000 residents have been told to evacuate as several wildfires approach settlements across southern California, according to a statement by Los Angeles County Fire Department, APA reports citing Sputnik.

According to a fire department tweet, the Tick Fire near Agua Dulce in northern Los Angeles County, which spread across 3,000 acres, has already destroyed several structures. As of Thursday evening, the fire remains completely uncontained.

​In northern California, a much larger Kincaid Fire spread across 16,000 acres, destroying at least 49 homes or structures.

​The fire was reportedly 5-percent contained as of Thursday evening, with some 1,300 firefighters at the scene, California Fire Chief Mike Parkes said, adding that the number of firefighters is likely to increase.

​"Because of the terrain of the area, the crews had a difficult time getting around it early on, and the fire grew much more quickly in size," Parkes said.

The threat of wildfires prompted utility companies to preemptively shut off electricity to hundreds of thousands of people in Northern California on Wednesday in a bid to stop power lines from sparking more blazes.

So far, no injuries have been reported in these wildfires.

apa-logo-mini

Other news