APA presents an interview with Assistant to the President of Azerbaijan, Head of Foreign Policy Affairs Department of the Presidential Administration Hikmat Hajiyev.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Armenia has issued a statement regarding the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and has come up with accusations against Turkey. We would like to know your comment regarding this.
- The coming up of Armenia with such absurd statements instead of eliminating results of its aggressive policy posing serious threat to peace and security in the region once again demonstrates that the real intention of the official Yerevan is to conceal its occupational policy and to put forward deceptive and false accusations against other countries. This statement of Armenia who has reflected on its state emblem its territorial claims against Turkey, and keeping under military occupation the internationally recognized territories of Azerbaijan for about 30 years is both ridiculous and is the highest level of hypocrisy and an attempt to interfere in the issues that don’t concern itself. I think that everybody should know its own place and shouldn’t overstep its limits. Diplomacy is a serious sphere and there is no room for insincere and irresponsible statements in this sphere. With such a statement Armenia firstly defames itself. I am sure that Armenia is not aware of the essence of events at all taking place in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and the only reason for its statement is the fact that this topic refers to Turkey.
Azerbaijan and Turkey come to the sight of Armenia everywhere. The statements regarding Sevres treaty issued by Armenia’s officials in recent days once again show that this country is not able to escape from being a hostage of the past, to put aside the groundless hatred and to learn how to coexist peacefully with neighbors.
- What would you say on the activity of Turkey in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea?
- I would want to stress firstly that we highly appreciate brother Turkey’s unique support to Azerbaijan during Armenia’s provocations in the direction of Tovuz, joint military exercises, held in Azerbaijan, visit of Turkish Army leadership, including Defense Minister, to Azerbaijan. As President Ilham Aliyev stressed while accepting delegation, led by the Turkish Defense Minister, there is no other countries in the world as close and connected as Azerbaijan and Turkey.
We always stand by each other. Both in our good and bad days.
Azerbaijan unequivocally supports Turkey’s activity in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. I think Turkey protects its right, interests, and benefit in the region, in accordance with international law.
- We would like to know your views on Azerbaijani-Georgian relations.
- There are friendly and strategic partnership relations between Azerbaijan and Georgia. Our relations are one of the most successful models of the kind neighborhood and can be an example for other countries. Both countries are suffering from a violation of territorial integrity. Our countries support the territorial integrity of each other. Azerbaijan and Georgia are active participants of giant energy and transport projects successfully implemented in the region and beyond it. We expect that Southern Gas Corridor will be commissioned until the end of the year. Azerbaijani companies are great taxpayers in Georgia. There are several new suggestions of our companies for further development of economic cooperation. Constructive dialogue environment exists between the governments of Azerbaijan and Georgia based on trust. We can openly discuss any issues. We highly appreciate fact that Georgia did not permit transiting weapons to Armenia through its territory.Both Azerbaijani and Georgian governments are determined to further deepening of the relations.