White House: Trump regrets not raising tariffs on China higher
When President Donald Trump said on Sunday that he had second thoughts about escalating the trade war with China, he meant that he wished he had raised tariffs on Beijing even higher, the White House said, APA reports citing Reuters.
Trump, who announced higher tariffs on Chinese goods last week, raised eyebrows during a meeting with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson at the G7 when he responded in the affirmative to questions from reporters on whether he had any second thoughts about the tariff move.
White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham sought to explain the remark.
“His answer has been greatly misinterpreted. President Trump responded in the affirmative - because he regrets not raising the tariffs higher,” she said in a statement.
Trump on Friday set an additional 5% duty on some $550 billion in targeted Chinese goods, hours after China unveiled retaliatory tariffs on $75 billion worth of U.S. goods.
The moves were the latest round in a tit-for-tat trade war between the world’s two largest economies that has damaged global growth, upset allies, and raised market fears that the world economy will tip into a recession.
During his meeting with Johnson on Sunday in France, Trump was asked if he had second thoughts about his latest escalation.
“Yeah, sure. Why not?” he said.
The reporter repeated the question and Trump replied: “Might as well. Might as well.”
A second reporter followed up again, asking if he had second thoughts about escalating the trade war with China.
“I have second thoughts about everything,” Trump responded.
The president’s responses were unusual because he has been largely resolute in his demands that China change its trade practices and that tariffs were a successful tool to encourage Beijing to do so.
On Friday, upset about China’s retaliation, the president said he was ordering U.S. companies to find alternatives to doing business in China and move operations back to the United States.
It was unclear what Trump could do to legally compel U.S. companies to abandon China.
Asked on Sunday if he would declare a national emergency over the issue, Trump said he had the right to do so but had no plans in the works.
“I could declare a national emergency. I think when they steal and take out, and — intellectual property theft, anywhere from $300 billion to $500 billion a year, and where we have a total loss of almost a trillion dollars a year ... in many ways, that’s an emergency,” he said.
“I have no plan right now. Actually, we’re getting along very well with China right now. We’re talking. I think they want to make a deal much more than I do.”
Afghan migrant: I thought France was humane until police beat me
Brent crude oil surpasses $49 per barrel first time since March 6
Turkey registers 28,351 coronavirus cases, including 6,814 symptomatic cases
Turkish National Security Council discussed Azerbaijan
How the French Ambassador watered down UNSC documents on Armenia’s invasion of Kalbajar - ARTICLE
Azerbaijan MFA: Adoption of a completely biased resolution by the French Senate can only be considered as a provocation
Assistant to Azerbaijani President: "This resolution is nothing but an ordinary piece of paper for Azerbaijan"
Azerbaijan's MoD releases video footage of the movement of our units to the liberated from occupation Kalbajar region - VIDEO
UEFA awards Ukrainian national team technical defeat in match with Switzerland
Azerbaijani and Iranian FMs hold online meeting
Argentina to mark Diego Maradona's death with three-day period of national mourning
Tesla plans to produce electric car chargers in China, document shows
Football legend Diego Maradona passes away aged 60
Asthmatics, diabetics may have contraindications from coronavirus inoculation, says expert
Germany allocates two million euros for ICRC activity in Nagorno-Karabakh region
Handover of Kalbajar District to Azerbaijan in progress
Tsakuri village of Khojavand region renamed Hunarli village
Gushchubaba village of Khojaly region renamed Baharli village
1646654 coronavirus tests conducted in Azerbaijan so far
Number of confirmed coronavirus cases reaches 100,000 in Azerbaijan, 1220 deaths
Azerbaijan documents 3469 fresh coronavirus cases, 1229 recoveries, 30 deaths in the last 24 hours
Former Prime Minister of Armenia: “We lost 80% of our army. It's not a defeat, but utter destruction"
Nar continues to provide communication support to doctors fighting COVID-19
Azerbaijani political parties have issued a statement on the French Senate's consideration of the recognition of the so-called regime
Azerbaijan begins to identify Armenianized toponyms
Airports in Azerbaijani territories, liberated from occupation, to be included in ICAO registry
EU Commission Head Von Der Leyen warns against relaxing pandemic measures too fast
Sefcovic: "EU-UK talks difficult, but constructive"
Azerbaijan develops old car recycling project
Azerbaijani MoD releases another video of the entry of our units to the Kalbajar region - VIDEO
Erdogan: "Today Muslims are subjected to hatred campaign, which was conducted against Jews in Europe on the eve of World War II"
Diesel passenger buses to be decommissioned in Baku
Bike-sharing and scooter-sharing systems can be applied in Baku
Iran's coronavirus death toll exceeds 46 thousand
Best FIFA awards Player of the Year nominees announced ahead of annual ceremony
Zeki Ozturk: “Turkey will continue to stand by Azerbaijan”
Vandalism defined and signed but disapproved - ANALYTICS
Turkish-made COVID-19 vaccines may be launched in April
Erdogan: “Justice has taken its place in Garabagh conflict”
Ambassador George Deek: "Women deserve a life of dignity that is free from fear"
First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva congratulates Azerbaijani people on the liberation of Kalbajar
Turkish President: "Kalbajar also liberated from occupation, Azerbaijani flag is already waved in Karabakh"
Erdogan: “Importance of our fight for justice from the Mediterranean to Nagorno-Karabakh is clear”
Auto rally held in Baku on the occasion of liberation of Kalbajar
Assistant to Azerbaijani President: "We are against double standards"
Ibrahim Kalin: "Turkey will continue playing an active role in the newest history of Caucasus"
Head of state: "Armenia is a defeated country, Azerbaijan is a victorious country"
Azerbaijani President: Pashinyan, where did you sign this act of capitulation?
Azerbaijani President: "They believed that their patrons would always defend them, stand behind them and fight for them"
President: "We have won the information war, we have won the war on the battlefield, we have won the war in the information space, we have won the war in the political arena"
Armenian servicemen blew up military unit building while leaving Kalbajar - VIDEO
Azerbaijani MoD releases aerial video of the Shusha city - VIDEO
Ministry of Defense releases video footage of liberated from the occupation Abdal and Gulabli villages of Aghdam region - VIDEO
Azerbaijani servicemen help Armenians to leave Gulabli village of Aghdam - VIDEO
Armenians target Azerbaijan's residential settlements, civilian population, and civilian facilities - PHOTOSESSION
Azerbaijani MP suggests to establish shelters for beggars
Azerbaijan commemorates Khojaly genocide - PHOTOSESSION
14 years pass since establishment of the Ministry of Emergency Situations: They always come to your aid in any difficult moments - PHOTOSESSION - VIDEO
First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva attended opening ceremony of rebuilt Azerbaijan pavilion at Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy in Moscow - UPDATED
Prosecutor General’s Office: Most of the videos about insulting actions against the corpses of Armenian servicemen are fake
Special quarantine regime in Azerbaijan extended until December 28
Major General rank conferred to Kanan Seyidov- ORDER
More than a hundred people have contracted an unknown disease in Senegal