Death toll rises to 200 in Beirut explosion

Death toll rises to 200 in Beirut explosion
  • Clock-gray 15:19
  • calendar-gray 10 August 2020

More than 200 people are believed to have been killed by Tuesday's devastating explosion in the Lebanese capital, Beirut, its governor has said, APA reports citing BBC.

Marwan Abboud said dozens were still missing, many of them foreign workers.

On Sunday there was a second night of violence in the city, as police clashed with protesters angry with the government's response to the disaster.

The resignation of three members of the cabinet, including the justice minister on Monday, has not quelled the fury.

Fresh protests have been called for Monday afternoon when Prime Minister Hassan Diab is due to chair a cabinet meeting.

Mr Diab has said the blast was the result of the detonation of 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate that had been stored unsafely at Beirut's port for six years.

The decision to keep so much hazardous material in a warehouse near the city centre has been met with disbelief by many Lebanese, who have long accused the political elite of corruption, neglect and mismanagement.

apa-logo-mini

Other news