North Korea says does not intend to hold talks with US
- 07 July 2020
The DPRK said on Monday it does not intend to hold negotiations with the US, APA reports cıtıng Korean Central News Agency.
after the aggravation of inter-Korean relations, the media and experts from different countries, as well as some officials, spoke about the need and even the possibility of resuming US-DPRK talks before the US presidential election in November.
Accordıng to a statement made by Choe Son Hui, first vice-minister of Foreign Affairs of the DPRK, Pyongyang was shocked at the suggestion that the talks could be held under current circumstances. He added that Washington considers dialogue with the DPRK as a tool for grappling with its internal political crisis.
The relationship between Washington and Pyongyang has been deteriorating ever since the fiasco at the Hanoi summit in February 2019. The meeting promised progress in denuclearising the Korean Peninsula and lifting sanctions on the DPRK, but was, however, cut short and ended without a deal on 28 February, due to disagreements over the timing of sanctions relief. The denuclearisation talks have been stalled since then.