Death toll reaches 27 at airport explosion in Yemen - UPDATED

Death toll reaches 27 at airport explosion in Yemen - UPDATED
  • Clock-gray 17:23
  • calendar-gray 30 December 2020

The death toll in the explosion at the airport in Yemen has increased, APA reports. 

As a result of the explosion at least 27 people died.

***15:51

Several explosions sent officials running for cover at Aden airport on Wednesday as a plane carrying new ministers arrived in the de-facto temporary capital of Yemen for their first meeting, APA reports.

It is unclear at this stage how many people were caught up in the blasts, but Undersecretary of the Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights Nabil Abdul Hafidh told Sky News Arabia that several people had been killed and wounded.

The cabinet members, including Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik, were transferred safely to the city's presidential palace, witnesses and Saudi media said.

A UN official confirmed to The National that all cabinet ministers are safe.

"At least two explosions were heard as the cabinet members were leaving the aircraft," an AFP correspondent said.

 

Yemen's internationally recognised government and the Southern Southern Transitional Council formed a new power-sharing cabinet on December 18, and arrived in the southern city of Aden on Wednesday just days after being sworn in Saudi Arabia.

The power-sharing deal is part of the Riyadh Agreement brokered by Saudi Arabia last year to end clashes between the STC and its allies in the Yemeni government.

The formation of the new 24-member cabinet, which was sworn in on Saturday by Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, forges a joint front against the Iran-backed insurgents who have seized much of the north.

Mr Hadi has lived in the Saudi-capital since Sanaa fell to the Houthis.

Zumrud Pashkin

Other news