Town halls in six German cities evacuated due to bomb threat

Town halls in six German cities evacuated due to bomb threat
# 26 March 2019 13:42 (UTC +04:00)

Major police operations are underway after town halls in six German cities received anonymous bomb threats on Tuesday, ONA reports citing German media.

According to initial reports, Augsburg, Kaiserslautern, Chemnitz, Göttingen, Neunkirchen and Rendsburg are affected.

The city hall in Augsburg, Bavaria, was evacuated and closed on Tuesday morning. The town hall square was also cordoned off, around 500 employees were sent home, the local media reports.

Police said an "act of violence in connection with the city of Augsburg" had been received.

The force did not provide further details and the operation is in progress. There is also disruption to public transport due to the incident.

The town hall in Göttingen, Lower Saxony was also evacuated and closed off. According to the police, a bomb threat was received. Special forces were on site and residents were urged to avoid the area.

Police also tweeted about the incident and said public transport in the area would also be diverted.

A similar report has come to light in the Saxon city of Chemnitz. Police are investigating the town hall. The town hall was also cordoned off.

In Kaiserslautern, Rhineland-Palatinate, threatening mail was also received, a police spokesman said this morning. Task forces were also on site with sniffer dogs. The area around the town hall had been cordoned off. However, there is currently no concrete threat, the spokesman said. The measures were being carried out as a precaution.

"Around 1:30am, threatening mail arrived at the town hall during the night, a police spokesman in Kaiserslautern told Focus Online. "It was discovered by an employee at about 8 am."

Threats against town halls have also been reported from other German cities.

Sniffer dogs are being used at the town hall in Neunkirchen It is thought to be in connection with a threatening email.

In Rendsburg, Schleswig-Holstein, a police spokesman said that an e-mail with a bomb threat had arrived at the town hall during the night. The building was evacuated in the early hours of the morning, and employees were denied access.

It is not known whether there is a connection between any of the incidents.