India says space debris from anti-satellite test to 'vanish' in 45 days
India expects space debris from its anti-satellite weapons launch to burn out in less than 45 days, its top defense scientist said on Thursday, seeking to allay global concern about fragments hitting objects, ONAreports citing Reuters.
The comments came a day after India said it used an indigenously developed ballistic missile interceptor to destroy one of its own satellites at a height of 300 km (186 miles), in a test aimed at boosting its defenses in space.
Critics say such technology, known to be possessed only by the United States, Russia and China, raises the prospect of an arms race in outer space, besides posing a hazard by creating a cloud of fragments that could persist for years.
G. Satheesh Reddy, the chief of India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation, said a low-altitude military satellite was picked for the test, to reduce the risk of debris left in space.
“That’s why we did it at lower altitude, it will vanish in no time,” he told Reuters in an interview. “The debris is moving right now. How much debris, we are trying to work out, but our calculations are it should be dying down within 45 days.”
Few satellites operate at the altitude of 300 km, from which experts say the collision debris will fall back to earth, burning up in the atmosphere in a matter of weeks, instead of posing a threat to other satellites.
In 2007, China destroyed a satellite in a polar orbit, creating the largest orbital debris cloud in history, with more than 3,000 objects, according to the Secure World Foundation.
Because the impact altitude exceeded 800 km (500 miles), many of the resulting scraps stayed in orbit. “Some of it could still be there,” Reddy said, adding that India had been much more careful in conducting its test.
In Florida, on a visit to the U.S. military’s Southern Command, acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan warned any nations contemplating similar anti-satellite weapons tests that they risked making a “mess” in space from debris.
The U.S. military’s Strategic Command was tracking more than 250 pieces of debris from India’s missile test and would issue “close-approach notifications as required until the debris enters the Earth’s atmosphere,” Pentagon spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Dave Eastburn said.
Reddy identified the military satellite shot down as Microsat R, weighing about 750 kg (1,653 lb) and launched on Jan. 24. by the Indian Space Research Organisation for the purpose of the test.
A week after launch, it was moved into a different orbit in preparation for the test.
“The technology has been completely proven, we hit it with centimeters of accuracy, probably less than 10 cm,” Reddy said.
India’s test of the anti-satellite weapon from an island off its eastern coast broke a lull since the United States used a ship-launched SM-3 missile to destroy a defunct spy satellite in Operation Burnt Frost in 2008.
The Union of Concerned Scientists said nearly 2,000 orbiting satellites provide key benefits to people around the world, and India’s launch showed more countries were seeking the capabilities that put satellites at risk.
“Destroying satellites...can have ripple effects, producing dangerous clouds of debris that could stay in orbit for decades or centuries, disabling or destroying any satellites they collide with,” one of its scientists, Laura Grego, said in a statement.
U.S. says U.N. COVID-19 meeting is stage for Chinese 'propaganda'
Iran okays plan to speed nuclear program
World needs more than 3 or 4 vaccines: UN health body
The Foreign Ministers of Azerbaijan and Russia had a telephone conversation
Turkey reports nearly 32,000 new COVID-19 cases
An earthquake hits the Caspian Sea
Turkey sees its future in EU: Top diplomat
Azerbaijani MoD: Other logistic support assets brought for the peacekeeping contingent were delivered to the destination point - VIDEO
SOCAR Polymer inreased export up to 25%
Azerbaijan Defense Ministry expressed condolences to the Iranian side
First Vice-President of the Brazilian Federal Senate sends letter to Azerbaijani President
Brazil bank heist: Armed men take hostages in attack on Cametá
Agenda of special session of UN GA on COVID-19 to be held at initiative of Azerbaijani President announced
EU Commission ready for new cooperation with US
WHO recommends that people wear masks in shops, workplaces, schools if ventilation isn't adequate
Center for Analysis of Economic Reforms and Communication: Military equipment losses of Armenia amount to 3.8 billion dollars - PHOTO
Boris Johnson stresses COVID vaccination should be voluntary
Ukraine reports over 13,000 daily COVID-19 cases
Peskov: Russians first to get domestic vaccines
BioNTech: US, EU vaccine approval possibly in mid-December
Chairman of the Confederation of Azerbaijani Diaspora Organizations of Russia adressed a letter to İlham Aliyev
Azerbaijan's State Security Service brought Lebanese terrorist mercenary to justice who fought in Karabakh - VIDEO
Fitch: Azerbaijan’s capital/profitability buffers support stable outlook on banking sector
TABIB: Azerbaijan will not purchase the coronavirus vaccine that not approved by WHO
European Commission: Protecting territorial integrity of Eastern Partnership countries to remain a priority
Interpol: Criminals could try to sell fake COVID vaccines
NHS may start vaccinations next week, UK Health Secretary Hancock says
Chairman of the Constitutional Court of Azerbaijan awarded with the Order of Dostyk of Kazakhstan
Putin says Karabakh peace deal consistently implemented
Turkish Defense Minister: "Our cooperation with Azerbaijan on military exercise and officer training continues"
Memorandum on export of agricultural products from Azerbaijan to US to be signed
Oil and gas demand is unlikely to fully recover in 2021, Fitch Ratings says
Iran reports 362 coronavirus related deaths over past day
Kazakhstan to produce Russia’s Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine
Additional measures needed to control Coronovirus, said Akif Gurbanov
Akar: “Joint Russian-Turkish Ceasefire Monitoring Center is being constructed”
Azerbaijan's TABIB calls on people over age of 65 not to leave homes
Director of the Scientific Research Institute of Medical Prevention: “One can not hope for vaccine to fight coronavirus”
Adil Allahverdiyev: “We should definitely resort to strict measures on coronavirus in Azerbaijan”
Professor: "There is not a specific drug or vaccine against coronavirus yet"
Number of bed fund in the country increased many times over the past nine months, Azerbaijan's TABIB says
Video footage of the Garygyshlag village of Lachin region - VIDEO
1763609 coronavirus tests conducted in Azerbaijan so far
Azerbaijan documents 3,942 fresh coronavirus cases, 2,265 recoveries, 37 deaths in the last 24 hours
Number of confirmed coronavirus cases reaches 129,544 in Azerbaijan, 1,470 deaths
Ministry of Defense releases video of Seyudlyu (Zod) gold ore field of Kalbajar region - VIDEO
Foreign companies also involved in the construction of highway to Shusha
UN Azerbaijan welcomes approval of national action plan on prevention of domestic violence
Japanese Parliament passes bill to guarantee free COVID-19 vaccination for residents
Turkish FM: Turkey always supported negotiated solution based on Azerbaijan's territorial integrity
Azerbaijani flag raised up in the liberated from occupation Lachin region - VIDEO
Units of the Azerbaijan Army entered the Lachin region - VIDEO
The other logistic support assets for the peacekeeping contingent were delivered - VIDEO
Azerbaijan State Tourism Agency prepares video about the sights of Shusha - VIDEO
Armenians target Azerbaijan's residential settlements, civilian population, and civilian facilities - PHOTOSESSION
Azerbaijani MP suggests to establish shelters for beggars
Azerbaijan commemorates Khojaly genocide - PHOTOSESSION
14 years pass since establishment of the Ministry of Emergency Situations: They always come to your aid in any difficult moments - PHOTOSESSION - VIDEO
First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva attended opening ceremony of rebuilt Azerbaijan pavilion at Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy in Moscow - UPDATED
UEFA banned Nurlan Ibrahimov from football for life
Azerbaijani Parliament adopts a statement protesting the resolution adopted by the French Senate - FULL TEXT
Assistant to Azerbaijani President: "This resolution is nothing but an ordinary piece of paper for Azerbaijan"
President: "The occupation of Kalbajar district is the direct responsibility of the then ruling Popular Front of Azerbaijan"